send aind receive error after updating to 2.9.1

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kufu-p40

send aind receive error after updating to 2.9.1

Post by kufu-p40 »

Looking for help on this question. I just received a call from one of financial clerks and he got the message that MLS will be updated to 2.9.1. He did not want to wait for the download so he manually downloaded 2.9.1 and installed it and now he can not do a send and receive. The modem dials out but will not connect. As far as I know this is the only system in the stake with 2.9.1.
Any ideas what to check? I am planning on going out tomorrow night to troubleshoot the issue.

thanks

kufu
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kufu wrote:Looking for help on this question. I just received a call from one of financial clerks and he got the message that MLS will be updated to 2.9.1. He did not want to wait for the download so he manually downloaded 2.9.1 and installed it and now he can not do a send and receive. The modem dials out but will not connect. As far as I know this is the only system in the stake with 2.9.1.
Any ideas what to check? I am planning on going out tomorrow night to troubleshoot the issue.

thanks

kufu

I haven't heard of this problem in quite some time, but in the past there were occasionally problems during an upgrade where the dialer script got blanked out. You might check that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I can't think of anything that's likely to go wrong, so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Is there any error message? If you get a "security error" that advises you to call the church area office, that's exactly what you'll have to do. (In the US, the "area office" is SLC).

You might check a computer that's still working and get the modem numbers and a file called Dialer.Properties located in C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS Compare it with the "bad" machine.

Don't forget the obvious like the computer isn't plugged into the phone line, dead phone line, etc. . :rolleyes:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As long as you don't uninstall the old version, a full install shouldn't damage anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kufu-p40

Post by kufu-p40 »

thanks for the ideas. I know the modem is not the issue because he did a test by calling his cell phone and the modem dialed out. I will check the dialer script and if I run into an issue I will call support.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:As long as you don't uninstall the old version, a full install shouldn't damage anything.
I'm not sure about this. Is there a new copy of the "dialer.properties" file that's provided with a full install? I can't recall.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:Is there a new copy of the "dialer.properties" file that's provided with a full install? I can't recall.
Not until you define the dialer properties. It's not stored in the database itself, so it's not part of the MLS backup/restore.

kufu-p40

Post by kufu-p40 »

issue has been resolved. I was getting an error message to make sure the modem is turn on.
I looked at the modems setting under control panel and found two modems installed. I ran a query on both modems and the standard modem would not respond. I removed it and reboot the computer. I then did a send and receive and everything work fine.

Kufu
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Good news. Thanks for closing the loop on this one.
I'm sure this will help others.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”