Newsletter Article won't accept attachment

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
jprice6412

Newsletter Article won't accept attachment

Post by jprice6412 »

I'm creating a new Article and am trying to attach a PDF file of 800MB size. I have tried several times over a 2-day period and after doing the download it continues to tell me ERROR Service Unavailable. I don't see that I'm doing anything wrong. What's the problem?
johnshaw

Re: Newsletter Article won't accept attachment

Post by johnshaw »

800 MB pdf file --> seems a bit much to me.... :)

If you access the Help section of the Newsletter App --> Expand the Creating Articles section and Read the Attachment Guidelines, you will see that a max of 5MB attachments are supported.

Here is a direct link to the help file.
https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/new ... ticles.htm
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jprice6412

Post by jprice6412 »

Oops, I mean the file is 800KB. I guess I'm too used to typing the M these days. Yes, I knew about the 5MB limit. That was the first thing I thought about. Thanks. Any other ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The other issue that sometimes causes errors is the name of the file to be uploaded. It's safest to make sure the filename (the part before the extension) is 8 characters or less and contains no spaces. That issue is discussed (among other issues) here.
jprice6412

Post by jprice6412 »

Thanks for the link to other posts on this topic. It appears that the file size limit is 500KB rather than 5MB. I shrunk my file to less than 500KB, still with a long name with spaces, and it went through with no problem. I think the instructions should be modified to the correct file size limit.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jprice6412 wrote:Thanks for the link to other posts on this topic. It appears that the file size limit is 500KB rather than 5MB. I shrunk my file to less than 500KB, still with a long name with spaces, and it went through with no problem. I think the instructions should be modified to the correct file size limit.
Well, the limit is definitely not 500KB -- I've uploaded many files larger than that. The problem is that the upload service is unreliable in many ways. Even for a specific file with a particular name, it may succeed on one attempt, and fail on another.

Return to “Newsletter”