Keeping content up-to-date and permissions on the LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
coloradotechie-p40

Keeping content up-to-date and permissions on the LUWS

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Is it reasonable to give people temporary admin access to update a section of the site?

Our Sunday School president wanted to update the Lesson Schedules and both the LUWS main admin and I have been fairly busy so we haven't had the chance to do it yet. I thought it would be okay to give the SS President admin to update the lessons since he offered to do it himself but I'm a super newbie with the LUWS... I didn't know if that was okay.

Is there a standard out there to follow when granting access (for example, to update the leadership or Lesson Schedules)? Is it up to the ward?

(Note: our LUWS main admin is reluctant to give out access. Since I'm a newbie with the LUWS I didn't know what the standard was. He is concerned about security and rightly so... there are enough people out there with the intent to do harm (not in our ward, just in general :) ). However, I didn't know if there was an established level of trust of people in the ward with callings or if you have to have specific permission from the bishop to be a temporary admin).

The only thing that I see that a temporary administrator could get access to would be an adult's birthday (month/day/year)... all the other sensitive stuff is in MLS. I know if the temporary admin went through the site with bad intentions than that would be quite damaging... so I think some discretion would need to be used... I just don't know if there is a LUWS help page/manual that talks about this.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

coloradotechie wrote:Is it reasonable to give people temporary admin access to update a section of the site?

Our Sunday School president wanted to update the Lesson Schedules and both the LUWS main admin and I have been fairly busy so we haven't had the chance to do it yet. I thought it would be okay to give the SS President admin to update the lessons since he offered to do it himself but I'm a super newbie with the LUWS... I didn't know if that was okay.
The only instructions I'm aware of say that a ward should have two people assigned as administrators as backup. The number of admins and who gets this priviledge should be a decision made by the bishop of the ward.
Is there a standard out there to follow when granting access (for example, to update the leadership or Lesson Schedules)? Is it up to the ward?
The ward is responsible to update the Lesson Schedules for Sunday School and for the ward leadership. The Priesthood lessons are handled at the Stake Level.
(Note: our LUWS main admin is reluctant to give out access. Since I'm a newbie with the LUWS I didn't know what the standard was. He is concerned about security and rightly so... there are enough people out there with the intent to do harm (not in our ward, just in general :) ). However, I didn't know if there was an established level of trust of people in the ward with callings or if you have to have specific permission from the bishop to be a temporary admin).
I agree. It's best to limit the number of admins. It would be much safer to find the time to update the information requested. The single most time would be in getting the 2010 calendar posted and the Sunday School Gospel Doctrine lessons. After these two are in place, it's relatively easy to maintain. IMHO I don't see a need to pass around admin access.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

coloradotechie wrote:I just don't know if there is a LUWS help page/manual that talks about this.
No such policy manual that I know of. You've correctly identified the sensitive issue in that the admin can see someone's birthday and legal name.

Ultimately, it seems to be up to the Bishop as to who should have admin access. The only guideline I can remember is that there should be two admins in case one is unavailable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

coloradotechie wrote:Our Sunday School president wanted to update the Lesson Schedules and both the LUWS main admin and I have been fairly busy so we haven't had the chance to do it yet.
Permission comes from the bishop, but and Admin has access to and can change anything. I would be careful. I think the best thing would be to carve out 10 minutes in the next day or so to put the lessons in.

If your connection is fast enough, you should be able to do it in about 5 minutes with the drop down boxes. That's not much longer than it would take to make the SS president an admin, train him, check his work, and deactivate him. And no one wants a deactivated Sunday School president anyway. [grin]
kisaac
Community Moderators

The real issue, it's not getting done!

Post by kisaac »

coloradotechie wrote: Our Sunday School president wanted to update the Lesson Schedules and both the LUWS main admin and I have been fairly busy so we haven't had the chance to do it yet.
I think he is being polite by offering to help, but he really is asking for it to get done. Although it is HIS calling to oversee the teachers that use this schedule, LUWS doesn't allow him to modify it, and needs you to do it.

He may feel it is important to his efforts in keeping all of his teachers on schedule, and it is fabulous when he needs to direct a substitute by phone or email to the proper lesson on the right date.

As mentioned, it just takes a few minutes if you have his 2010 lesson schedule. Besides, if he is encouraging use of the LUWS, it is a plus!

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”