iPhone will not sync to my computer

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
coashbys

iPhone will not sync to my computer

Post by coashbys »

My iphone will not sync with my computer. When I log in it starts to sync and then gives me a Sync Failed note. I have tried reinstalling Gospel Tools, but now I have no highlights, notes or annotaions on my phone. What am I doing wrong?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: iPhone will not sync to my computer

Post by sbradshaw »

By "Gospel Tools", I assume you mean "Gospel Library" – is that right?

Do all of your recent annotations show as expected at Notes.ChurchofJesusChrist.org?

Are you using the same Church Account to sign in to Gospel Library, as the one you're using online or on other devices?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
coashbys

Post by coashbys »

Yes you are right, I ment Gospel Library - sorry about that.
Yes, all my notes, highlights and annotations show up on my computer when I am logged into my Church account.
In the effort to fix this problem, I have changed my passward, but I logged out of my iphone and logged back in with the new passward to my account on both the iphone and my computer, but the iphone is like a new set of scriptures with no highlights, notes, etc.
One thing you should know is, as a seminary and institute teacher, I use my notes a lot. I wounder if there is a limit to how much I can put in the "margines" of my scriptures.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There shouldn't be a limit on number of annotations – some users have more than 100,000.

Are you on the latest version of iOS Gospel Library (currently 6.6.2)? You can check under Settings > App Details.

It's possible that there's a lag with the Church servers catching up after you changed your password. You might trying waiting a few hours after changing your password, then sign out and back in again.

If you're on the latest version of the app, and you're still getting nothing on your device, you could try sending feedback under the Help section of the app.
coashbys

Post by coashbys »

Yes I am on the latest verson 6.6.2.13351.
The Failed Sync has been happening for days.
I will try the help line one the app.
Thanks
technina

Post by technina »

I'm having problems syncing my brand new iPhone 14 with the Library. The Library version on my phone is 6.6.3 (which is the latest now). My phone has iOS 17.1.2 (which is the latest). I can login on my MacBook Pro in my browser without any problems. I use the same username and password on my phone as on my laptop.

I can see all of my notebooks and notes and study sets online. Anytime I add something new, I see it instantly.

On my phone, I have pulled down from the middle of the screen to make the app download new content. It still doesn't. No matter what, I get the sync failed error.

I can create new notes/notebooks on my phone. But can't sync it.

I've deleted the app and turned off my phone. I've restarted my phone, downloaded the Library app again, and still get the sync failed error.

I've had this problems for over 3 weeks -- and I'm getting so frustrated!!!!
akbylund

Post by akbylund »

I have been having this exact same problem for over a month now. I've been going in circles trying to get someone to help me with it on church sites. They just don't even respond to me anymore. I use my phone A LOT for my study, and it's driving me crazy that I can only see my stuff on my laptop on not my phone.
akbylund

Post by akbylund »

I just posted a reply to you that I have been having the same problem, and decided to try someone's suggestion that I saw. Maybe if you try it too, it will work for you! One of my notebooks had a bad link or something. I recently had made a new "study set" to keep a topic more organized for me, and after deleting that stud set, my app on my phone is finally syncing! After a month of troubles!! So maybe it's something to try? If you did anything different than you normally do, maybe try deleting it to see if it helps.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

technina wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:48 am … study sets online. …
On my phone … I get the sync failed error.
There's a bug that was just recently fixed in iOS Gospel Library 6.7.0, which is currently in beta and will hopefully be released this week. It has to do with study sets not specifying their sort order when syncing down to the iOS app (the iOS app doesn't currently show the study sets feature, but it's part of the synced data). Since you have study sets, I'm curious if that's what you're seeing. If it is, the fix is to reorder the list of study sets online. This will trigger the study sets to sync correctly.

To reorder your study sets, go to any chapter content in Gospel Library Online (in your browser) – for example, 1 Nephi 3 – then click the Study Sets button in the top right. A sidebar should open that shows your study sets. Click "Edit" in the sidebar, then drag the three-lines icon next to one of the study sets up or down to reorder the list. Then click the back button at the top of the sidebar to save. Then wait a few seconds and do a pull-to-refresh in the iOS app to have it check for changes and sync.

Alternatively, you can wait until 6.7.0 is released with the fix (if that's the cause of the issue you're seeing).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gospel Library 6.7.0 has been released.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”