IPad to TV via Lightning/HDMI adapter Full Screen CC fails

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
eldonhancock

IPad to TV via Lightning/HDMI adapter Full Screen CC fails

Post by eldonhancock »

When playing videos in Gospel Library using Lightning AV Adapter HDMI in Full Screen Mode, the closed captions that work when NOT in Full Screen do not work in Full Screen Mode. The same videos work fine in Safari lds.org Full Screen. Issue seems to be narrowed to this specific configuration and mode and app. I have removed and re-installed Gospel Library and tried multiple TVs and iPads. Same result. Ideas?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: IPad to TV via Lightning/HDMI adapter Full Screen CC fails

Post by sbradshaw »

By "full screen mode", do you mean the page with the video is full screen (titlebar and bottom toolbar hidden), or the video itself is in a full screen video player? Do you have the same menu options to turn on closed captioning in both situations, or does the menu not appear at all?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eldonhancock

Post by eldonhancock »

Thanks Samuel. I am playing the video in Gospel Library, not on a video player. Within the Gospel Library video box is a full screen icon that looks like two arrows pointing to the screen corners (top left and lower right). When clicked, the video goes into Full Screen Mode. I don't know what 'player' Gospel Library uses; whether its own or interfacing to another player tool. I can only say that I'm playing videos in Gospel Library. I hope that answers the question. If anyone tries the configuration I mentioned, they should easily see if they are having the issue or not. I cannot find anyone who doesn't have the issue. I believe this to be a legitimate bug, but I'm surprised that it's not been reported and resolved, given the emphasis on showing videos from IPads in classes and the numbers of users.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks, I'll see if I can duplicate the issue. Do you have an example of a video with closed captions? (I think most videos don't have closed captions yet.)
eldonhancock

Post by eldonhancock »

Thanks Samuel. Here's a detail script.

iPad IOS 12.1.4
Accessibility with Closed Captions turned ON
Gospel Library App
Select video Reach Up To Him in Faith
Play video (Closed Captions works correctly)
Tap Full Screen Mode (Closed Captions works correctly)

Attach Lightning/HDMI Adapter
Connect HDMI cable to TV
Play same video as before (Closed Captions works correctly)
Tap Full Screen Mode (Closed Captions fails)

Safari App, address to lds.org
Lightining/HDMI Adapter and HDMI to TV still connected
Play same video as before (Closed Captions works correctly)
Tap Full Screen Mode (Closed Captions works correctly)

Conclusion: Bug in Gospel Library
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I was able to reproduce the problem and I did some research online – it seems that the issue is the HDMI. HDMI sends a stream of audio and video to the TV or projector, but the closed captions are not part of the actual video stream – they're overlaid on top of the video stream – therefore, they are not sent over HDMI from the video player (which is iOS's built-in video player). You're likely to have the same problem in any other apps you might play full-screen videos in.
eldonhancock

Post by eldonhancock »

Thanks. As I showed in my script, Safari sent through HDMI to the TV gives Closed Captions fine an the very same videos. How is it able to do it successfully?

Eldon
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I found the video on two places on LDS.org:
https://www.lds.org/study/video/mormon- ... h?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... h?lang=eng

It looks like the first page is using a video player provided by Brightcove, a third-party company that hosts several of the Church videos, not the standard HTML video player provided by the browser / OS. The second page is using the built-in video player, but it doesn't give an option for subtitles (that I could see).
eldonhancock

Post by eldonhancock »

The second option has a small CC box at the very bottom right, just left of the Full Screen Mode icon. The CC icon turns on Closed Captions. I hope this helps.

In either case, the same HDMI configuration successfully gives Closed Captions in Safari when Gospel Library is not successful, except that Gospel Library is fine in small screen mode. The problem is ONLY is FUll Screen Mode in Gospel Library.

Another option on the PC is to download it and play it in VLC. The Church has directions for playing it that way and even has a link to download VLC. But again, my goal and issue is to use the iPad instead of my bulky and heavier PC.

Eldon
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Sorry, I mixed up the order. It's the second link that's using Brightcove (custom video player), and the first that's using native HTML. I'm interested to know if you find any examples of the native HTML video player on iOS or on a website in Safari, that display captions in full screen video mode.

Before you enter full screen video mode, the display is mirroring your device, so you see everything on the display that you see on your device. When you enter full screen mode, the native HTML player no longer mirrors – it streams the audio and video files directly over to the display.

I agree that it's not the greatest experience...

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”