GL Won't Open

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

bellfamily4

GL Won't Open

Post by bellfamily4 »

v4.2.4.0 on Windows 10

On opening the app, I get green check marks by Signing In, No Cat Update, Syncing Annotations and syncing notebooks. Then, the hourglass just keeps spinning. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change. The unsupported LDS Tools also quit loading. BTW, I have no problem loading the app on my Android phone using the same account.

This started about two weeks ago. Any thoughts? Thanks.
bellfamily4

Re: GL Won't Open

Post by bellfamily4 »

Yeah, for me it started right before the class I was to teach. Sadly, mine isn't intermittent. . .it fails every time. I'm hoping this is the correct place for support. Given how many people use the library, I expected to see a lot more activity/response in this forum. Is there another site for official support?
bellfamily4

Post by bellfamily4 »

RESOLVED:

Following a suggestion in another post, I reset the app instead of re/uninstalling. For me it's under Windows Settings | Apps | Gospel Library | Advanced Options. Scroll down and click Reset, and confirm.

So after the app opened and I selected defaults, it stalled out on the initial catalog download. I again reset the app, but skipped downloading of the default catalog. So far I've been able to download individual items without issue. So it's working again. . .for now.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

bellfamily4 wrote:I'm hoping this is the correct place for support. Given how many people use the library, I expected to see a lot more activity/response in this forum. Is there another site for official support?
This forum is user-to-user assistance. There are some programmers who visit occasionally in an unofficial capacity, but official support is via feedback from within the app itself (I think feedback is in the help menu) or via lds.org if the app refuses to open. Posting issues here will sometimes find resolution if someone else has resolved the same issue and they provide info on their success, but there are no guarantees that will happen.
rhdavis1bird

Post by rhdavis1bird »

Following the guidance here, I also "reset" my gospel library an that did the trick.
sbirk

Post by sbirk »

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro running VMWare Fusion 11.0 with Windows 10 Home Edition installed as a virtual machine.

When I start GL, I get the screen that says the catalog is downloading. Then, I sign in with my LDS account info. I then get the configuration screen for the theme, colors, etc. I've clicked on both the Next button and the Skip This Step button. The program asks if I want to download some books. I've clicked both the Yes and No buttons. After this, the app screen goes white and does nothing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I've done the Windows app reset procedure. I've thrown the laptop out the window... no, not really, but by this time, I'm so frustrated with the app not working that I feel like doing it.

Under VMWare, I have a Windows 8 virtual machine, also. I've tried installing GL on the Windows 8 virtual machine and I get the same results.

Anyone familiar with virtual machines who might have experienced this problem and figured out how to resolve it?

Thanks.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

On your MacBook Pro, which version of Gospel Library is being installed? The latest version should be v5.0.4 and should work fine on Windows 10 in VMWare Fusion...Also, what version of Windows 10...type WINVER at the Cortana search box on the taskbar. The latest version of Windows 10 should be Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379).
sbirk

Post by sbirk »

I'm using GL 5.0.4. My version of Win10 is 1903, which is an advance-release version. Lest we assume that the Win10 version is the problem, I also have a Win8 partition in VMWare and GL doesn't work in it, either.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

The app for Win8 is a different version and hasn’t been updated for several years. I would focus on the windows 10 version. There may be an issue with the preview release of Windows 10. I have a spare machine that I’ll try to update to a pre release version of Windows 10 to see if there might be an issue there.
gilbreen

Post by gilbreen »

Just adding another data point regarding this issue. It happens for me with both the regular GL and the beta version, both of which are at version 5.0.4. I am running Windows 10 1809. Resetting or reinstalling gets it working again but only for a few launches and then it is back to being stuck at the launch window but never opens.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”