YSA records transfer problems

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

YSA records transfer problems

Postby adamherrington » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 pm

The church released me from my calling and moved my records to the YSA ward without me even knowing either happened. I assume they moved both my brother and my records at the same time. I checked on the site and and said my Brother was the head of household which quite bothered me.
Quite disappointed with the church this past few months. So there are three questions
I was released from my calling yet I was told nothing.. is this even allowed?
Was I supposed to give consent to have my records transferred?
Why is my brother the head of household in my new ward?

Community Moderators
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon

Re: YSA records transfer problems

Postby rmrichesjr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm

I sense that your are feeling frustrated about what you described. I think I would likely be at least a little frustrated, too. Let's remember that this is a public forum and keep any expression of such emotions in appropriate terms and tone. Let me see if I can shed a little light on both the issues I saw in your post.

First, being released from a calling without being personally informed: Handbook 2 has guidance on how releases from callings _should_ be handled. Handbook 2 (not 1) is publicly available, so here is where you can find the relevant section: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng=eng#195

Second, being moved to the YSA ward: There may well be instructions in the handbooks about how members are moved to a YSA ward when they turn 18 and/or graduate from high school, but I'm not personally acquainted with those instructions. Someone else may chime in with more information from official sources. I do know that the two stakes I have lived in during the past few decades differ a little bit in their culture on that topic. In one stake, the new adults/graduates generally made a deliberate decision of where they would attend, and the records were moved accordingly. In another stake, everyone simply assumes a new adult/graduate will be moved to the YSA ward. Perhaps that might be new policy--I don't know.

One thing I do know regarding both issues is that mistakes happen, even when all leaders, clerks, and everyone else has the best of intentions. Having served as an elders quorum secretary and now serving as ward membership clerk, I have made my share of mistakes with just a couple of errant keystrokes or mouse button presses when updating home teaching (now ministering) assignments--like the time I inadvertently unassigned a single sister's home teachers from the high priests group. Her father was in the high priests group leadership, so I had to go ask him who his daughter's home teachers were supposed to be so I (or someone more reliable) could fix my mistake. Also, leaders have a lot of things to try to keep track of, and sometimes something falls through the cracks.

I would suggest you talk with someone in the bishopric of your home ward and/or YSA ward about your concerns. I'd guess there's a fair chance you'll get an apology.

Senior Member
Posts: 3148
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: YSA records transfer problems

Postby eblood66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:55 pm

You should talk to the bishop or ward clerk of your ward. Most likely a mistake was made and your record was transferred in error. If so, that would automatically remove you from your calling as well (as least in the computer systems). If you and your brother were both in the same household before (presumably your parents household) when the records were requested then you would both remain in the same household in the new ward and the system would choose one of you as the head of household (I'm not sure how it chooses when none of the household members are the parents but it's pretty arbitrary and isn't any kind of value judgement).

If the records were transferred in error then the clerk can transfer them back and reenter your calling (if you actually change wards then you are released even if the bishopric doesn't formally release you but if the transfer was a mistake then you weren't really released since the bishopric didn't meet with you and release you).

According to the handbook a YSA can choose whether they want to attend the YSA ward or their conventional ward. So regardless of why the records were transferred, you can ask that they are moved back.

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest