Is there a restriction prohibiting government employees, like police officers, from being bishops

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lmwitten

Is there a restriction prohibiting government employees, like police officers, from being bishops

Post by lmwitten »

This came up in a meeting today and I can find no evidence on LDS.org of such a prohibition. My belief is that this is not factually correct. Can you confirm?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is there a restriction prohibiting government employees, like police officers, from being bishops

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think there's any prohibition on the church's side. My last stake president was a state judge in Family Court.

However, there might be restrictions the employer sets to avoid problems with "separation of church and state" and the various watchdog groups. The candidate in question should consult their Employee Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Re: Is there a restriction prohibiting government employees, like police officers, from being bishops

Post by Biggles »

Not a Bishop, but we had a serving police officer serving as a Counsellor in the Stake Presidency.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We had a bishop who was a district judge. There were some instances where he needed to delegate certain interviews to his first counselor because he would have been required to report them as an officer of the law.
klricks

Post by klricks »

A Bishop or any member with a US Gov security clearance may have issues if there are any foreign national members or visitors at meetings.
I had a friend who had to report any contact with foreigners to his employer. His employer asked him.... "Why can't you just find a new church?"....
Assistant Ward Clerk
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

klricks wrote:A Bishop or any member with a US Gov security clearance may have issues if there are any foreign national members or visitors at meetings.
I just emailed a list to the company security officer each Monday. If they asked for details of the contact, it was a missionary moment for me.

But changing churches was not an option. Every congregation in this area has the same challenge.

Return to “General Discussions”