~3 weeks studying with the New Experience

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevans

Re: ~3 weeks studying with the New Experience

Post by mevans »

jdlessley wrote:I submitted feedback. FYI I am running Firefox Quantum 64.0 (64-bit) on Windows 10.
FWIW, I decided to try Safari on a Mac today, and it worked fine for me. Based on responses I've received on previous feedback submissions to the church, they don't support IE/Edge, so it looks like Firefox is the one they need to fix right now. I wonder if they'll add Edge support after Microsoft changes Edge to use the Chromium engine.
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

Thanks for all your help.
I think my problem is that we cannot open a new note from within an existing note. Working from any article runs just fine but I was trying to do this from within a note.
mevans

Post by mevans »

dfechser wrote:I think my problem is that we cannot open a new note from within an existing note. Working from any article runs just fine but I was trying to do this from within a note.
I'm not completely sure what you're trying to accomplish. Is it one of these?
  • Creating a note on one of your existing notes (I wouldn't expect that to ever work)
  • Create more than one note on a selection (it's doable, but not always easy)
  • Looking at your notes in the sidebar on the right and trying to take a note on those?
  • Something else
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

Your first bullet is what I tried to do.
mevans

Post by mevans »

dfechser wrote:Your first bullet is what I tried to do.
Short of writing articles for church magazines or speaking in General Conference, your thoughts probably will never be in note-taking format on LDS.org. I'm not sure of your goals, but here are some things to consider that might help you:
  • You could add to your existing notes on lds.org, kind of like journal entries. You might want to even add dates of your notes. This is the only solution that keeps you entirely on lds.org. I don't know if that's one of your goals or not.
  • Try out TheBrain.com. There are free and paid versions. This is an interesting tool that helps you make associations between thoughts, visualize them, and organize them. You can even add links to content on LDS.org, and I believe with the online version, you might even be able to place a URL in one of your lds.org notes back to content on TheBrain.
  • Try mind-mapping tools. There are free and paid tools. Straight mind-mapping tools are more linear in thought, whereas TheBrain.com allows various thought relationships.
  • EverNote (free and paid) allows you to tag your entries and you can find associations through looking at tags and different notebooks. You could make an attempt to keep your tags the same on EverNote and lds.org, which might help you in connecting thoughts between the two, although that would be a manual process.
  • OneNote (free and there might still be a paid version). This is a different type of organization, perhaps more project/task-based. It's more structured (notebooks have tabs, tabs have pages) than the other solutions.
  • Personal blog. It can even be private. Different blog tools have different organizational features.
  • There are many other apps out there. Search for things like "EverNote Alternatives" or "OneNote Alternatives" and you'll find a bunch of free and paid offerings.
  • Depending on how you think and work, something like Trello.com might be interesting.
  • I've not used this, but if you want a Windows application, you could check out UltraRecall.
  • If you're on an Apple platform (iPhone, iPad, and/or Mac) you could check out Apple's Notes app (it's included, although if you want iCloud sync, you might end . up paying for storage).
cynthianielsen

Post by cynthianielsen »

As Mevans stated above: "Now I find it's rather difficult to take notes because I can't read the content that I highlighted that impressed me to take a note in the first place. "

I cannot find, in the New Experience, any way to connect the note content with the highlight location. What am I missing?

This is essential to my use of the study notebook, where I have ~5000 entries reflecting years of scripture study.
mevans

Post by mevans »

cynthianielsen wrote:As Mevans stated above: "Now I find it's rather difficult to take notes because I can't read the content that I highlighted that impressed me to take a note in the first place. "

I cannot find, in the New Experience, any way to connect the note content with the highlight location. What am I missing?
I think there may be two different issues in your comment above:

1. Unable to see what you highlighted
This is a significant problem with the new design. I find it greatly reduces usability, but I don't know if they'll ever do anything about it. Here are a couple of ideas on how to deal with it (I don't really like any of the options):
  • Highlight the text. Then find your note in the sidebar, click on it, and from the "..." menu at the top of the note, choose Edit. You'll be able to see your content on the right panel and the edit window opens in the middle panel.
  • If your screen is big/wide enough, open a separate browser window and put them side by side. Look at the highlighted content in one window and edit the note in the other window.
  • Highlight something. Open the comment window. Try to remember what it was that inspired you to take a note and write something. Close the edit window to go back and reread the highlighted content, reopen the edit window and continue trying to make your comment. Repeat until you've completed your note, given up, completely forgotten why you were inspired to make a note in the first place, or gone insane.
2. How to connect the note content with the highlight region
If you have made a tag or added a comment, you'll see either a tag or a comment icon to the right of the text where you started your note. You can click on the icon and your note will open in the right panel.

If you are making notes on scriptures, you'll see verse numbers associated with your note on the right panel. This makes it easy to browse the right panel and find your notes along with footnotes. If you're annotating something else, like a magazine article or general conference talk, this is less useful, because you can see your comment, but you don't know to where it corresponds in the text.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”