MLS running with user don't admin

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mdantasf

MLS running with user don't admin

Post by mdantasf »

Hello all!

I have a scenario, that it's better to create a new user without admin privilegies because a computer clerck running with admin user has some problems with instalations of others programs not recomedate, vírus, improper use by USB, change of date time on clock, and others problems.

But with Windows 10 and a limited user, not possible to run MLS. When a used the option "Run with Administrator" the MLS open e work, but not print.

Exist, some policy or another procedure to fix? or it's better to run with only user with admin privilegies?

I consider better to configure multimples user by units to limit the access and future problems. The password it's default with number of ward or stake. I could not resolve this problem still.

Thank you for all help!
eblood66

Re: MLS running with user don't admin

Post by eblood66 »

As far as I know, MLS does not work well on anything other than an account with administrator privileges. The instructions for setting up new computer (https://www.lds.org/help/support/new-cl ... r?lang=eng) likewise indicate that accounts need administrator access. It also implies that all users for a given unit should use the same account.

That isn't the ideal security situation but it's what's needed to run MLS. And at this point there is probably no work being done to change MLS since it will eventually be retired when the remaining financial parts are moved to LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Even if you got MLS to run under a non-admin Windows login, you'd probably have issues when MLS went to update itself since installs frequently require admin rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mdantasf

Post by mdantasf »

Thanks for the answers. I used this unprivileged mameira with Windows 7 for 5 years on average ... but I deposited this new installation that I did with windows 10, gave problem as reported.

The updates I did remotely, with administrative privileges.

I will try search a solution and publish in this post.

Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mdantas wrote:I have a scenario, that it's better to create a new user without admin privilegies because a computer clerck running with admin user has some problems with instalations of others programs not recomedate, vírus, improper use by USB, change of date time on clock, and others problems.
If I understand correctly, your problem may be a clerk who needs to visit with his bishop or branch president and perhaps not use the computer.
mdantasf

Post by mdantasf »

Almost that. To this case, I share informations with FM Group people asssitent to resolve others problems.

But my biggest problem is having a single user with administrative privileges, and people using MLS, who install programs that they should not have with malware and other problems.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In which case I would suggest you set up a separate non administrative account for all other users. I did this in my own Stake, as unfortunately some Missionaries would install programs from dubious sources and all sorts of nasties were introduced to the Clerk computer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:unfortunately some Missionaries would install programs from dubious sources and all sorts of nasties were introduced to the Clerk computer.
I hope that was reported to the Mission President. As well as reviewing if missionaries need access to the computer given that many missions have tablets.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:unfortunately some Missionaries would install programs from dubious sources and all sorts of nasties were introduced to the Clerk computer.
I hope that was reported to the Mission President. As well as reviewing if missionaries need access to the computer given that many missions have tablets.
This was a couple of years ago. Yes it was reported to the Mission President. It doesn’t hurt to have separate accounts for those that don’t require admin permissions to carry out their callings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:It doesn’t hurt to have separate accounts for those that don’t require admin permissions to carry out their callings.
Agreed.

Return to “Clerk Computers”