disable 'notes' modal popup for selection on lesson materials?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
minektur

disable 'notes' modal popup for selection on lesson materials?

Post by minektur »

This is regarding the not-very-new 'beta' lesson manual interface (e.g. https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... ce/develop) .

It's been like this a while now, but UGH - I select a little text and a giant modal dialog box pops up covering what I'm trying to select. My problems with this are:

* A 200ms delay in changing text selection
* The inability to fine-tune selection boundaries because the box is covering the text I'm selecting
* The idea that I would want to save notes about a lesson I'm doing today for posterity

I'm not on the fastest computer, but the lag I get when I select text because that dialog box has to pop up is frustrating, especially when I need to move a selection boundary to include or exclude some text. Also, If this were actual scripture, I could understand perhaps wanting to save my notes, highlighting, etc for the future. I'll likely never refer to this lesson material after I teach the lesson today. Additionally, there is a great chance that this material will not even be available online in it's current form for any length of time. Can you find the 2013 Aaronic Priesthood Quorum lesson material online anywhere?

I'd love to have a supported (non-greasemonkey-script) way to disable this behavior - it drives me crazy.

I'll also confess that I have a habit of highlighting the text I'm currently reading, especially in large blocks of text. It helps me keep my place, especially when scrolling. I do this on many many websites. But on lds.org.... sigh. It's frustrating.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: disable 'notes' modal popup for selection on lesson materials?

Post by rmrichesjr »

On that page, I'm seeing similar but not identical symptoms with Firefox 60.3.0esr:
  • 1) Did not notice an appreciable delay;
    2) Do see the sizable dialog box, but seems to be a little different than described;
For me, the dialog box I see was always north of the selected text, never obscuring it.

This is a user-to-user forum, so there is not a high likelihood of your post being seen by anyone in a position to change the behavior of the software. If you can find a 'Feedback' link on a page that shows the problematic behavior, that would be the best way to get the problems addressed.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”