Can members donate to a family through the ward?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pepethecow

Can members donate to a family through the ward?

Post by pepethecow »

I'm not talking about Fast Offering funds. Those are well-understood. This is about money given directly to a family, for which FO funds are not usually allowed.

There was a recent tragedy in our ward and a GoFundMe for the family was setup. Some members are asking if they can give through the church and we can write a check to the family (I guess for anonymity? GoFundMe provides that...maybe to ensure 100% goes to family?), I thought we could probably do this through the Other account. We've done similar things before with sponsoring EFY, including paying a family back directly with anonymous funds.

Is this ok? Some other way to handle it? Or should we just say...go through GoFundMe...that's what it's designed for.

My preference is to just tell them to use GoFundMe--less complicated paperwork/messiness the better.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can members donate to a family through the ward?

Post by russellhltn »

I don't think there's anything in the Handbook that would authorize that. And even if people donated to the "other" account, it won't show up in the end-of-year tax statement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”