Gen. Conference Alt. Language Feed on LDS.org

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
StanCo

Gen. Conference Alt. Language Feed on LDS.org

Post by StanCo »

The General Conference feed on LDS.org is not available when the Marshallese language is selected: "Kajin Majol". We have a bunch of Marshallese peoples in our Stake and desire to provide the real time General Conference audio along with English and Spanish in our Stake Center.

It appears that Marshallese & Russian can be selected via the Satellite tuner (Channel 110) via our Satellite tuner, but that will not work for us because we have a modest number of English speaking members who attend the Stake Center to hear and see the General Conference broadcasts. BUT, that suggest that a live Marshallese audio feed is available, real time, during General Conference, but NOT on the LDS.org web site?

Minimally, we are looking for a real time AUDIO cast in the Marshallese language that we can transmit onto our wireless headphones for these members and investigators during the event.

Also, I suppose there is no way to get a closed captioned version of General Conference in real time via satellite? It IS available on the webcast from LDS.org.

Thanks a bunch.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Gen. Conference Alt. Language Feed on LDS.org

Post by lajackson »

StanCo wrote:It appears that Marshallese & Russian can be selected via the Satellite tuner (Channel 110) via our Satellite tuner, but that will not work for us because we have a modest number of English speaking members who attend the Stake Center to hear and see the General Conference broadcasts.
You will need a second receiver to add Marshallese to your English/Spanish capability. Each receiver can be tuned to one channel. You need 101 and 110 to get the three languages you desire.
StanCo wrote:Also, I suppose there is no way to get a closed captioned version of General Conference in real time via satellite?
Closed captioning is available on the satellite in real time. However, your building may not be wired properly to receive it. I discovered last night that our building is not wired properly to display CC.

Your FM Group should be able to help you with both situations before the next General Conference.
CordellJones

Post by CordellJones »

Is it possible to stream this general conference in Nepalese or Hindi (India), either through the satellite system or over the Internet?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hindi (Inda) is listed. But to tune it in on the satellite is likely to disrupt the language that's already set up. For future conferences, you're likely to need to have the church install another receiver in your system.

I'd suggest going to the website and selecting that language for the website and then streaming conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CordellJones

Post by CordellJones »

We are currently streaming the English version over the internet, leaving the satellite free for tuning in to Nepalese or Swahili. The list of pairings does not indicate Nepalese as being available in the United States. Am I missing something? I also do not see a way to stream either of those languages although it appears that for those attending in person the translations are available.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CordellJones wrote:The list of pairings does not indicate Nepalese as being available in the United States. Am I missing something?
Looking at the Official Communications Library for the General Conference, I see "Nepali" as available only for Sunday Afternoon session in the "Video on Demand and Audio Files" section.

CordellJones wrote:TI also do not see a way to stream either of those languages although it appears that for those attending in person the translations are available.
Go to the general conference page and then change the language of the website (click on the icon of the globe in the upper right). One disadvantage of this method is that you have to be able to read that language to be able to select it. For example, Nepali is listed as नेपाली. Fortunately, if you hover over a selection, you'll see the English name in the pop-up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”