Data Model for Importing Scripture Highlighting

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
Agent16774

Data Model for Importing Scripture Highlighting

Post by Agent16774 »

Hey Forum,

I am looking for a more advanced feature for the LDS website that I think might help users make the difficult transition from "analog
scriptures to "digital" ones.

I was thinking about having the ability to display highlighting and links via a data model that can be rendered into the scriptures. For example:

Code: Select all

{
	"dc": {
		"35": {
			"13": {
				"tags": ["thrash", "commandments"],
				"highlight": [{
					"color": "red",
					"start": 0,
					"end": 15
				}]
			}
		}
	}
}
This work highlight D&C section 35:13 in red from word 0 to word 15.

It is NOT a perfect model and there would need to be some iteration on how to get this to work properly, but if it was implemented it would allow for users to manage their highlighting with more ease, it could enable teachers to distribute scripture links and so forth in emails.

Some other considerations would need to be put in place:
- Multi-input (files with the same highlighting: eg concatenation, etc.)
- Data Validation

I have some more ideas about how to make this feature really nice.

Thanks!
mevans

Re: Data Model for Importing Scripture Highlighting

Post by mevans »

You can submit your ideas through the "Feedback" link at the bottom of most pages on lds.org. You can include a link to your post in your feedback.

There might be some interesting ideas with this, including being able to save your highlights and notes (as people have reported them disappearing at times). You could share them with others.

You mentioned it needs refining. A couple of things off the top of my head: Besides tags and highlight, you'd need comments, and maybe notebook. Maybe I want to open the links and see them, but don't want them merged with my notes. You could even add "image" so the scripture sticker vendors could sell us images to put on the verses :) We'd need to think of ways to do this. I'm not sure how it all would work, but I think there are potential uses for such a format.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”