Impossible to update household address

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
eliott.mourier

Impossible to update household address

Post by eliott.mourier »

Hello,
I recently moved and thought that i would be able to update my address directly from the directory UI, through the "My Household tab", as mentioned in the help menu.
Well, i don't know if something is wrong with the french version of the website, but the only thing i can update are the privacy settings attached to my address, and not the address itself.
I imagine it is a bug, otherwise I think allowing people to update their address would be very useful to increase the quality of the data, instead of only relying on clerks to do so.

See the screenshot attached.

Regards,
Attachments
AdresseLDS2.PNG
(43.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Biggles

Re: Impossible to update household address

Post by Biggles »

eliott.mourier wrote: I imagine it is a bug, otherwise I think allowing people to update their address would be very useful to increase the quality of the data, instead of only relying on clerks to do so.
No, this isn't a bug. This is how the system is designed. Allowing members, however well intentioned, to update their own addresses could cause all kind of problems down the line.
Last edited by Biggles on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This is not a bug. Changing an address is not a member available function. Only your ward clerk, assistant ward clerk, membership clerk, and bishopric can change the address. It is limited to those callings since your address affects what unit your record is in and changing it is limited to those who have responsibility for managing membership records.

Take note that you, and other adults (over 18 years old) in your household, can change not only the visibility settings but also phone numbers, email addresses, and photos.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eliott.mourier

Post by eliott.mourier »

Thank you both for the answers.
I understand the type of problems that could be generated. Maybe a compromise would be a validation workflow then ? You sumbit an address change and then the clerk or bishop could validate it after receiving some kind of notification.
What do you think ?

Thanks,
mevans

Post by mevans »

eliott.mourier wrote:Maybe a compromise would be a validation workflow then ? You sumbit an address change and then the clerk or bishop could validate it after receiving some kind of notification.
What do you think ?
That's an interesting idea. It would allow members to be more proactive with their location, as sometimes wards take a very long time to request membership records of new members. If members entered them and it alerted clerks in the old and potentially new units, that might help. Clerks or other assigned individuals would still need to follow up with individuals to make sure they are really there, etc.

My feel is that not a lot members even know they can change things like their photos, phone, and email information. And I think there are still many clerks who don't know they need to approve member-uploaded photos.

You could always submit your idea for a workflow feature through the "Feedback" link at the bottom of most pages on LDS.org.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”