How to Authorize Assistant Clerk to Make LDS Store Purchases

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
djbjorkman

How to Authorize Assistant Clerk to Make LDS Store Purchases

Post by djbjorkman »

As ward clerk, I can make purchases on store.lds.org, but when I was training my assistant clerk on how to do so, he doesn't have that option. How do I authorize my assistant clerk's LDS account to make purchases on behalf of the ward?

Thanks in advance!
James
eblood66

Re: How to Authorize Assistant Clerk to Make LDS Store Purchases

Post by eblood66 »

Rights are provided based in calling and there isn't any way of changing that. However, if the clerk has his calling entered correctly as a standard calling he should be able to make orders. I'm an assistant ward clerk and I do it often.

Can your assistant clerk access LCR? If not, then there is something wrong with how the calling is entered or his LDS account doesn't have his membership number entered correctly. Or it's been less than 24 hours since the calling was entered.

If he can access LCR then I'm not sure what is wrong. What specific calling does he have?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When I look in CDOL, I don't see any assistant ward clerks in your ward. I only see Bishop, Bishop First Counselor, and Ward Clerk.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

drepouille wrote:When I look in CDOL, I don't see any assistant ward clerks in your ward. I only see Bishop, Bishop First Counselor, and Ward Clerk.
Assistant clerks don't show on the summary page
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I chose a ward at random (not in my stake). Under "Positions" in CDOL, I see "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance".
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

drepouille wrote:I chose a ward at random (not in my stake). Under "Positions" in CDOL, I see "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance".
Yes, my "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance" calling also shows up on the front page (that happened only fairly recently) but my "Ward Assistant Clerk" calling does not and our membership clerk does not either.

But if jonesrk wasn't aware of that, I wonder if it is unintentional.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

eblood66 wrote:
drepouille wrote:I chose a ward at random (not in my stake). Under "Positions" in CDOL, I see "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance".
Yes, my "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance" calling also shows up on the front page (that happened only fairly recently) but my "Ward Assistant Clerk" calling does not and our membership clerk does not either.

But if jonesrk wasn't aware of that, I wonder if it is unintentional.
I was aware of that when it happened, but I had forgotten :). I had checked the OP unit and he does have a Ward Assistant Clerk calling in his unit, but doesn't have a Ward Assistant Clerk -- Finance (that would have helped to remind me).
klricks

Post by klricks »

djbjorkman wrote:As ward clerk, I can make purchases on store.lds.org, but when I was training my assistant clerk on how to do so, he doesn't have that option. How do I authorize my assistant clerk's LDS account to make purchases on behalf of the ward?

Thanks in advance!
James
I have found that if you are logged into LCR and then go to the store.lds.org site from LCR, you must login again at the store site. If you don't login again then you will end up in the normal store with no access to unit items or unit billing.
Assistant Ward Clerk
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

klricks wrote:
djbjorkman wrote:As ward clerk, I can make purchases on store.lds.org, but when I was training my assistant clerk on how to do so, he doesn't have that option. How do I authorize my assistant clerk's LDS account to make purchases on behalf of the ward?

Thanks in advance!
James
I have found that if you are logged into LCR and then go to the store.lds.org site from LCR, you must login again at the store site. If you don't login again then you will end up in the normal store with no access to unit items or unit billing.
That is true, but if one is logged in to the store and has a standard calling that grants access, one can see unit items (and put them in the shopping cart) but still may not be able to bill to the unit as I experienced for awhile. The OP was not clear - could their assistant clerk see unit items to order but could not bill them to the unit, or could the assistant clerk not even see unit items. Two different scenarios with likely two different causes (and resolutions) which makes further discussion speculative at best without additional details on what they were experiencing.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

The OP doesn't say what type of clerk his assistant is, but following GAAP (i.e. standard US accounting principles), the clerk paying the bills usually cannot place orders. This separation of duties prevents a single individual from placing an order and being the same person who reviews and reconciles the expense. If not in place, a clerk could make orders without any oversight.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”