Members of High Priest Quorum showing in Elders Quorum

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
leidasolo

Members of High Priest Quorum showing in Elders Quorum

Post by leidasolo »

Hello, who would I report members of the High Priest showing up as a member of the ward Elders Quorum in LDS tools?

I’m a member of the bishopric which means with the recent restructuring of the MP quorums the bishopric are members of the HP Quorum, but we still show as members of the EQ in LDS tools.

Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Members of High Priest Quorum showing in Elders Quorum

Post by russellhltn »

leidasolo wrote:I’m a member of the bishopric which means with the recent restructuring of the MP quorums the bishopric are members of the HP Quorum, but we still show as members of the EQ in LDS tools.
You are members of the stake high priests quorum. There is no HP quorum at the ward level. LDS Tools is correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
leidasolo

Post by leidasolo »

I totally understand that. So why do we show up in the Elders Quorum on the Ward level when we’re not members of the Elders Quorum?
leidasolo

Post by leidasolo »

Also, why is there not a HP quorum directory in LDS tools at the Stake level?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Being in the stake HP does not remove you from the ward EQ.

From the First Presidency letter:

"At the ward level, one Melchizedek Priesthood quorum. Members of elders quorums and high priests groups are now combined into one quorum with one presidency. The quorum is designated the “elders quorum,” and ward high priests groups are discontinued."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
leidasolo

Post by leidasolo »

Thank you for the reply, and I don’t want to come off as a pain, but when I read and reread that excerpt I don’t see how it says that we are members of the ward EQ and Stake HP quorum at the same time. I would think if we are members of two quorums isn’t that important enough to be specified, which it’s not anywhere from what I can see on LDS.org in the FAQs or elsewhere. I’m trying to make sense of the members of the Stake HP quorum also being members of the ward EQ operating under the keys of the EQ president.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looks like you may be right after all:
"The elders quorum includes all elders and prospective elders in the ward and high priests who are not currently serving in the bishopric, in the stake presidency, on the high council, or as functioning patriarchs."

Although, it does make me wonder what they do during that block of time. It's not like the stake HP meet at that hour.

All I can suggest is sending feedback through the app with a pointer to the quote.

leidasolo

Post by leidasolo »

Good suggestion, thanks. For even further clarification Elder Christofferson said, “When their terms of service in a stake presidency, high council, or bishopric are completed, high priests will rejoin the elders quorum in their ward.“

Bishoprics, as member of the Aaronic Priesthood Presidency, should spend that hour block with the AP quorums and YW classes. Stake Presidency members tend to be traveling, as you know, and meet with whatever class or quorum they feel so moved, and High Councilors do generally meet with the EQ, though they can meet in other classes or quorums when so assigned.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

As a practical matter, the ward Elders Quorum is the only place where Stake Presidency, High Council, Bishopric, Patriarch can report their priesthood meeting attendance (or excused absence) and be assigned ministering brethren to minister to them and their families. So I believe that every Melchizedek Priesthood holder or adult Aaronic Priesthood holder is now a member of their ward Elders Quorum, and when they have an appropriate calling are simultaneously members of an additional priesthood quorum (Stake High Priests, one of the Quorums of Seventy, Quorum of the Twelve, First Presidency).
leidasolo

Post by leidasolo »

I see your point, and it being a correct one, about the Elders Quorum being the only place that members of the HP quorum can report their attendance. However, under the additional FAQs for ministering (question # 8. link to page below) members of the HP quorum are not generally assigned as ministering brothers with specific families, though ministering brothers and sister can be assigned the HP’s family:

“Under the direction of their bishop, the presiding high priest in the ward, the members of the high priests quorum and their families have ministering brothers and sisters assigned to them by their elders quorum and Relief Society.

Because stake presidencies and bishoprics are responsible for all members of the stake or ward, these brethren are not generally assigned as ministering brothers to specific individuals or families. High councilors and functioning patriarchs may be assigned, based on local circumstances, as determined by the stake president. If they are assigned, it would be by their elders quorum president under the direction of the bishop of their wards...”

Our Stake President specifically asked us recently to make sure the EQ Presidency reassigns any families assigned to us.

As for the belief that members a different quorum are simulateously members of their ward EQ, that doesn’t jive with what Elder Christofferson said as quoted in this thread, at least to me.

https://www.lds.org/mycalling/ministeri ... q?lang=eng

Return to “General Discussions”