MLS does not display Korean characters on new computers

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ulupoi

MLS does not display Korean characters on new computers

Post by ulupoi »

I am currently preparing some ward computers for installation, and I came across a problem: If you let Windows update itself completely before you install the Windows Korean language pack, MLS displays all Korean characters as uniform rectangles. Read on for a partial work-around and for more details.

Problem: On new Lenovo M710q tiny desktops with the pre-installed provisioning, all Korean characters display in MLS as rectangles.

Partial solution: The Korean language pack must be installed as soon as the provisioning is completed. If you wait to do this until Windows updates are complete, Korean characters will display in MLS as rectangles, and currently, there is no solution. The version of Windows on the image is kind of old.

Remaining problem: I still need a solution for getting Korean characters to display in MLS on computers that have already been updated to the latest Windows version available on the Church's Windows Update Server.

Details:

1. When I updated our stake's computers to Windows 10, two years ago, I ran into a different problem with similar symptoms. MLS displayed all Korean characters as rectangles, and the Korean language pack was not available on the Church's Windows Update Server. I got around it by following this procedure:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... an#p158278
The take-home message is that to get Korean to display correctly in MLS on a computer running Windows 10, you need to install the Windows Korean language pack. The good news is that the Church's Windows Update Server now has the Korean language pack.

2. I am currently replacing our stake's computers with new M710q tiny desktops running Windows 10 Pro. If you wait until the Windows updates complete (to Windows Pro 10.0.16299, I think this is version 1709), before you add the Korean language pack, MLS will still display all Korean characters as rectangles.

3. However, if you install the Windows Korean language pack [(Settings > Time & language > Region & Language) and (Control Panel > Language) right after the LDS Provisioning process completes, when the Windows version is still 10.0.14393, the Korean characters display in MLS 3.8.5 correctly. To prevent Windows Updates from proceeding automatically during this process, open a Command Line (Admin) windows and enter "net stop wuauserv" (without quotation marks) before installing the language pack.

4. The pre-installed image installs MLS 3.8.5. The GSC wants us to install the latest version which is MLS 3.9.

5. I still need a way to get Korean to display correctly in MLS on computers that already have the latest Windows updates. I've contacted the GSC Meetinghouse Support people, and they are working on a fix. With any luck, this post will be completely irrelevant soon. If you come up with a solution, please let us know. You could always wait to prepare any computers needing MLS in Korean until the GSC comes up with a solution.

Thank you.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”