Can't find member record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
TeranceO

Can't find member record

Post by TeranceO »

We have a member who was baptized in the late 70's to early 80's but has been inactive until recently. When I go to move the record in, I don't get any results when searching with the name and birthdate. I also tried the option to have church administrative help move them in but I haven't seen the records moved in and it's almost been a week (it says to allow a couple days).

Is there any other way of looking for a member record?

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't find member record

Post by russellhltn »

I would give support a call come Monday.

Any possibility this member was known by a different name back then? Perhaps a maiden name?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TeranceO

Post by TeranceO »

russellhltn wrote:I would give support a call come Monday.

Any possibility this member was known by a different name back then? Perhaps a maiden name?
I think calling in is probably going to be the next step. I've tried different variations of the name, middle name etc. We have tried different parent names as well to see if they showed up under them but nothing so far.

Thanks.
stevenlloydb

Post by stevenlloydb »

We have a person who was previously excommunicated. I was informed by the Stake and Branch President that the person had been approved for baptism. The baptism has occurred several months ago, however I still do not have a membership record for them.
I contacted the stake clerk and they said to go ahead and create a new record for the person, if I can't find the record. When I try to create a new record, it says that a record already exist and to not create a duplicate record.
When I search for the membership record, I am not able to find it. I am positive that I have the correct name, DOB, and other information to use for searching.
Doesn't the church headquarters have the record for this excommunicated member that has been re-baptized? , and that when the person was formally approved for re-baptism, We should have been notified of how to have the record send back?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stevenlloydb wrote:I contacted the stake clerk and they said to go ahead and create a new record for the person, if I can't find the record.
That was incorrect.

stevenlloydb wrote:Doesn't the church headquarters have the record for this excommunicated member that has been re-baptized? , and that when the person was formally approved for re-baptism, We should have been notified of how to have the record send back?
Correct. The proper procedure is outlined in Handbook 1: 6.12. Clearly, someone dropped the ball at 6.12.3 and failed to file the report with the church. The fix is to get the responsible unit to file that report. That's probably all done in LCR now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

stevenlloydb wrote:We should have been notified of how to have the record send back?
When the proper information concerning the disciplinary council and the baptism has been sent by the stake to the Office of the First Presidency, the membership record will be sent automatically to your ward. And russellhltn is correct. This is all done electronically now. But the branch president and the stake still have to do it.
JAVM

Post by JAVM »

Hello, we have a member that moved into our ward from a Chinese Branch in Montreal. When I moved her record into the ward, I received the record of a person who is not her. What can I do to correct this situation? Contacting her previous branch has not been successful so far.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

JAVM wrote:Contacting her previous branch has not been successful so far.
That is the best option but if it doesn't work, you can contact the global support center and ask them to move the record back to the previous address.

Return to “Membership Help”