New Lenovo m710q Clerk Computer Provisioning Quirks

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jamiep39

New Lenovo m710q Clerk Computer Provisioning Quirks

Post by jamiep39 »

I just replaced 5 of my clerk computers with the new Lenovo m710q (the super tiny ones) desktops. In doing so, I found some quirks to the LDS Provisioning profile and thought I'd write some annotations to the instructions for those setting up new clerk computers in the next few months, or at least while the image is the same.

If you follow along here:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/new-cl ... r?lang=eng (as of 3/3/2018. If the instructions, dated 8/22/2017, have changed, this post is likely irrelevant)

This is all under Step 2.

Section 7:
The Windows Post-install wizard screen that lets you choose what to install has a timeout of about 1 second. As soon as that screen comes up, immediately click on the text in the bottom left corner that says "Click here to stop the countdown" or something like that. You have to click on the text. Once that is paused, un-check the box next to LDSTheme. I think it's called that. Something about a theme and LDS. This program caused lots of issues on the two computers I set up before realizing how to prevent it from installing.

Once the computer actually starts provisioning, it'll run through a bunch of steps. One of the applications in the process will come up and ask you if you want to restart your computer. This is the application's installer, not the provisioning tool. If you say yes to that, your whole setup could be toast. (Note that I didn't actually say yes, but that's what I imagine would happen)

When the computer finishes installing and you can log in as the unit user, User Account Control will probably be in an awkward, broken state. (Probably from some broken registry entries) Try to open the Edge browser. If it says something about the local admin account can't open that, follow these steps:
1. Right click on the start button and open Control Panel
2. Click on User Accounts, and then User Accounts again
3. Click "Change User Account Control Settings"
4. Set the bar to the 3rd option from the bottom
5. Restart the computer
6. Repeat steps 1-3
7. Set the bar all the way to the bottom again
8. Restart the computer

The version of MLS that comes with the provisioning tool will be out of date. Before trying to launch MLS, go to https://mhtech.lds.org and download the latest version. Once it's installed, I had to do the following to get it to run:
1. Right click on the shortcut
2. Go to Advanced
3. Check "Run as Administrator"
4. Apply the settings

The image I had also didn't install Sophos so I had to download it and install it from the MHTech site as well. Make sure to check to see if Sophos was installed.

Anyway, I hope these instructions help others who have to replace clerk computers any time soon. I just spent 4 hours replacing these and figured since I'd gone through all the work already, I might as well post some instructions.

Good luck!
pete.arnett

Re: New Lenovo m710q Clerk Computer Provisioning Quirks

Post by pete.arnett »

Had the similar issues you did with three (3) that I installed
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jamiep39 wrote:7. Set the bar all the way to the bottom again
I'd leave UAC on. Third from the top One notch down from the top is the normal setting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thank you very much!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
I'd leave UAC on. Third from the top One notch down from the top is the normal setting.
Odd that it came with it set at the bottom.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Well, I blinked and missed it, so it ran its course. When it was all finally done and restarted, the machine locked up. Edge was open and there were a couple errors on screen but I couldn't read them because they were blocked by another dialog box. I had to use the power button to restart. After that it was fine, but I switched back to the default theme just in case.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

So should we for sure set UAC to the normal (1 down from top) setting? A computer I checked today had it at 1 from the bottom, not sure if that was remotely set or one of the clerks set it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how to give a definitive answer, but one down from the top is a Microsoft "normal" and our stake machine has been working OK with it that setting.

I do see a number of prompts to allow "PTPatch" (I think that's the name) to run when I start MLS if there's a pending patch. So, there may be some clerk education involved if it's set to normal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

russellhltn wrote:
Apparently I don't have email notifications on so I'm just seeing this. It looks like I forgot the step at the end of setting up the computer where I turned UAC back on :D It just needed to be off for a bit during setup.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

jamiep39 wrote:I just replaced 5 of my clerk computers with the new Lenovo m710q (the super tiny ones) desktops. In doing so, I found some quirks to the LDS Provisioning profile and thought I'd write some annotations to the instructions for those setting up new clerk computers in the next few months, or at least while the image is the same.

If you follow along here:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/new-cl ... r?lang=eng (as of 3/3/2018. If the instructions, dated 8/22/2017, have changed, this post is likely irrelevant)

This is all under Step 2.

Section 7:
The Windows Post-install wizard screen that lets you choose what to install has a timeout of about 1 second. As soon as that screen comes up, immediately click on the text in the bottom left corner that says "Click here to stop the countdown" or something like that. You have to click on the text. Once that is paused, un-check the box next to LDSTheme. I think it's called that. Something about a theme and LDS. This program caused lots of issues on the two computers I set up before realizing how to prevent it from installing.

Once the computer actually starts provisioning, it'll run through a bunch of steps. One of the applications in the process will come up and ask you if you want to restart your computer. This is the application's installer, not the provisioning tool. If you say yes to that, your whole setup could be toast. (Note that I didn't actually say yes, but that's what I imagine would happen)

When the computer finishes installing and you can log in as the unit user, User Account Control will probably be in an awkward, broken state. (Probably from some broken registry entries) Try to open the Edge browser. If it says something about the local admin account can't open that, follow these steps:
1. Right click on the start button and open Control Panel
2. Click on User Accounts, and then User Accounts again
3. Click "Change User Account Control Settings"
4. Set the bar to the 3rd option from the bottom
5. Restart the computer
6. Repeat steps 1-3
7. Set the bar all the way to the bottom again
8. Restart the computer

The version of MLS that comes with the provisioning tool will be out of date. Before trying to launch MLS, go to https://mhtech.lds.org and download the latest version. Once it's installed, I had to do the following to get it to run:
1. Right click on the shortcut
2. Go to Advanced
3. Check "Run as Administrator"
4. Apply the settings

The image I had also didn't install Sophos so I had to download it and install it from the MHTech site as well. Make sure to check to see if Sophos was installed.

Anyway, I hope these instructions help others who have to replace clerk computers any time soon. I just spent 4 hours replacing these and figured since I'd gone through all the work already, I might as well post some instructions.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for taking the time to post that information. It's very useful.

Return to “Clerk Computers”