solemn assembly 2018

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
caevv

solemn assembly 2018

Post by caevv »

When is it going to happen? 1st or 2nd Saturday session?

Historically was on the first, but now, I'm not sure as it was public announced already.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Solemn Assembly 2018

Post by lajackson »

caevv wrote:When is it going to happen? 1st or 2nd Saturday session?
Church business is normally conducted during the Saturday afternoon session of conference. Therefore, a solemn assembly is often conducted during that session.

But we will not know for sure when until they announce it, if they do. And they can do it at any session of conference they wish, or even at any other time.
betsywinter

Re: solemn assembly 2018

Post by betsywinter »

When will they announce it? I was wondering if it was the meeting before the press conference? Also I don't really remember - what is different in a solemn assembly vs. a regular meeting?
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

betsywinter wrote:...what is different in a solemn assembly vs. a regular meeting?
A Solemn Assembly is when each individual group and quorum is invited to stand and sustain the new church president and first presidency, etc., wherever you may be located, rather than doing it all at once.

Here is the transcript from April 2008's opening session when Pres. Monson was sustained: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/05/the- ... s?lang=eng
Here is the transcript from April 1995's opening session when Pres. Hinckley was sustained: https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/05/the- ... s?lang=eng

Most likely it will occur during the opening session of General Conference like the past two, but it could be different. You never know.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

betsywinter wrote:When will they announce it?
Perhaps a few days before. If it is not held during the opening session of general conference, they usually announce it at that session. Normally, little notice is given. I suppose they want us to plan to attend all of general conference.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would thank nmecantwin73 for his research and suggest that it will probably follow the pattern of the last two solemn assemblies and take place on Saturday morning, barring a compelling reason to do otherwise. My Saturday afternoon comment was based on having participated in more than 112 general conferences during my brief lifetime.

I have participated in eight solemn assemblies so far to sustain new Presidents of the Church. I have also participated in seven other solemn assemblies, of which six were temple dedications.

Return to “General Discussions”