windows 8 app not up to date

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile
lucifer
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 am

windows 8 app not up to date

Postby lucifer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 am

I am currently using a windows 8 tablet. The updates have stopped. I don't have access to the current old testament sunday school material. I also don't have access to the October General Conference. It is as if just before the conference all updates have ceased. I uninstalled and tried beta but neither allowed the update to current material.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24760
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 am

The version of GL that supports Win 8 gets it's content from an older content service that is no longer being updated for 2018.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

ToManyLetters
Senior Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby ToManyLetters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 am

lucifer wrote:I am currently using a windows 8 tablet. The updates have stopped. I don't have access to the current old testament sunday school material. I also don't have access to the October General Conference. It is as if just before the conference all updates have ceased. I uninstalled and tried beta but neither allowed the update to current material.


The current version of the app that is receiving content updates from the content team is version 4.x, which requires Windows 10. As Russelhltn has pointed out, Version 2.x of Gospel Library for Windows and version 3.x of Gospel Library for iOS and Gospel Library for Android get their content updates from a source for which the Church has ceased support (and updates).
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

georgedowden
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby georgedowden » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am

Seriously? A current OS not supported? :roll:

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24760
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby russellhltn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:48 pm

georgedowden wrote:Seriously? A current OS not supported? :roll:


Win 7 is still current has had never been supported by GL.

From what I understand, the GL Windows was re-written so the same code could be used on tablet and phones. With a bonus of working on desktops/laptops as well. Priviusly, the team had been working on two code sets and were being stretched very thin.

The sacrifice was to drop Win 8 support. An OS that had a very low adoption rate. An OS that had a free upgrade offer for over a year.

That was before Microsoft gave up on the phone market.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

dalobo
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 am
Location: Uruguay, Montevideo

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby dalobo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 am

Is there a chance to download the information externally and install it in the app?

ToManyLetters
Senior Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby ToManyLetters » Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 am

dalobo wrote:Is there a chance to download the information externally and install it in the app?


No. Even if you could download it, it's in an entirely different format that the older apps can't read. The content format changed A LOT to accommodate things like being able to highlight everything. The move from version 2 to version 4 (3 during alpha) was HUGE for Windows, as it was for 3 to 4 for iOS and Android. The apps literally had to be rewritten from the ground up to handle the changes.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

garyoranzabriskie
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 am

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby garyoranzabriskie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am

Windows 8.1 is still on use by millions of users who found the convoluted mess of Windows 10 unacceptable. 8.1 is a nearly perfect OS for tablets. Windows 10 was trying to satisfy both desktop users and tablet users and does a relatively poor job at both. How do we go about asking for support for those who use Windows 8.1 exclusively? There are many Windows 8.1 devices sold new to this day for reasonable cost. It shouldn't be too hard to keep it updated.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24760
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm

garyoranzabriskie wrote:How do we go about asking for support for those who use Windows 8.1 exclusively?

As I understand it, because Windows trails in a distant third place in the moble device market, the Windows effort is completely handled by volenteer developers. And as it is, they struggling to keep up.

The lack of suport for Windows 8 is an unfortunate side-effect of the development enviorment which was choosen to be more forward-looking in the devices it would support.

You can ask, but unless more developers show up, I wouldn't expect any changes. I believe to support Windows 8, they'd have to resurrect the old code base and update it and either maintain two code bases for 5 years (when support for Windows 8.1 Update ends), or abandon the other devices that GL for Windows currently does support.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

garyoranzabriskie
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:58 am

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby garyoranzabriskie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 am

russellhltn wrote:
garyoranzabriskie wrote:How do we go about asking for support for those who use Windows 8.1 exclusively?

As I understand it, because Windows trails in a distant third place in the moble device market, the Windows effort is completely handled by volenteer developers. And as it is, they struggling to keep up.

The lack of suport for Windows 8 is an unfortunate side-effect of the development enviorment which was choosen to be more forward-looking in the devices it would support.

You can ask, but unless more developers show up, I wouldn't expect any changes. I believe to support Windows 8, they'd have to resurrect the old code base and update it and either maintain two code bases for 5 years (when support for Windows 8.1 Update ends), or abandon the other devices that GL for Windows currently does support.



So who do we contact for this? I would be willing to link a doodle Poll to gauge the support for an updated Windows 8.1 version of Gospel Library and LDS tools. It is a shame that we are unable to utilize a current OS in use by millions worldwide and are left as orphans. We don't have an option to upgrade to a different OS as the free upgrade was limited and most did not do it to Windows 10 because of bugs that are still there to this day. It is a poor OS for tablets and desktops. Windows 8.1 is perfect for tablets.


Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests