windows 8 app not up to date

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile
lucifer

windows 8 app not up to date

Postby lucifer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 am

I am currently using a windows 8 tablet. The updates have stopped. I don't have access to the current old testament sunday school material. I also don't have access to the October General Conference. It is as if just before the conference all updates have ceased. I uninstalled and tried beta but neither allowed the update to current material.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: windows 8 app not up to date

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 am

The version of GL that supports Win 8 gets it's content from an older content service that is no longer being updated for 2018.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

ToManyLetters

Postby ToManyLetters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 am

lucifer wrote:I am currently using a windows 8 tablet. The updates have stopped. I don't have access to the current old testament sunday school material. I also don't have access to the October General Conference. It is as if just before the conference all updates have ceased. I uninstalled and tried beta but neither allowed the update to current material.

The current version of the app that is receiving content updates from the content team is version 4.x, which requires Windows 10. As Russelhltn has pointed out, Version 2.x of Gospel Library for Windows and version 3.x of Gospel Library for iOS and Gospel Library for Android get their content updates from a source for which the Church has ceased support (and updates).
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

georgedowden

Postby georgedowden » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am

Seriously? A current OS not supported? :roll:

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:48 pm

georgedowden wrote:Seriously? A current OS not supported? :roll:

Win 7 is still current has had never been supported by GL.

From what I understand, the GL Windows was re-written so the same code could be used on tablet and phones. With a bonus of working on desktops/laptops as well. Priviusly, the team had been working on two code sets and were being stretched very thin.

The sacrifice was to drop Win 8 support. An OS that had a very low adoption rate. An OS that had a free upgrade offer for over a year.

That was before Microsoft gave up on the phone market.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

dalobo

Postby dalobo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 am

Is there a chance to download the information externally and install it in the app?

ToManyLetters

Postby ToManyLetters » Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 am

dalobo wrote:Is there a chance to download the information externally and install it in the app?

No. Even if you could download it, it's in an entirely different format that the older apps can't read. The content format changed A LOT to accommodate things like being able to highlight everything. The move from version 2 to version 4 (3 during alpha) was HUGE for Windows, as it was for 3 to 4 for iOS and Android. The apps literally had to be rewritten from the ground up to handle the changes.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”