UPDATING ENDLESSLY

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
slabahn

Re: UPDATING ENDLESSLY

Post by slabahn »

I am using a Huawei Mate 9 (current firmware) and the app works perfect in the past. Now I have the problem that I open the app and see the splash screen and that's it. The app ist closed.
I cleaned up the cache and data, no change. I uninstall the app (incl. clean cache and data) and reinstall, no change. Restarts of the phone didn't solve it.
I have no chance to create a bug report in the app.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here are some things you can try, if Gospel Library doesn't get past the Moroni splash screen:

• Make sure you have the latest version of Google Play Services installed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndroid.gms
• Make sure you're connected to a good internet connection, in case the app is trying but failing to download a content update. If you're not connected to internet at all, the app won't try to get updated content; but you may have trouble if you're in a between state – connected to internet, but the internet is slower than normal.
• Check how much storage space you have remaining on the device. If the device is low on memory, it may be failing to download a content update completely.
• Restart your device. This may help free up some memory, for a faster launch.
• Close all of your open programs by swiping them out of recent apps. This could also help free up some memory.

If none of that works, I'd recommend sending an email to Gospel Library support at the email listed here:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_support
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
slabahn

Post by slabahn »

@sbradshaw
- The latest version of GL is installed
- I try it with mobile and wifi at home, in the ward, in the company
- The Huawei Mate 9 has a big memory (4GB RAM, 64 GB internal storage, 128 GB SD Card) So I think, or better know, that the storage is no problem.

There are some things who could made the problem. The Android version (Android 8) or it is a "Huawei problem" (again, because I have problems with Android Auto) or there are system settings, who killed the app or a beta version of an other app made (Google) that problem
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

labbi wrote:There are some things who could made the problem. The Android version (Android 8) ...
Pixels run 8.1 and so far haven't appeared in this thread.

What I find odd is the timing. Something must have changed/updated to trigger it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

labbi wrote:@sbradshaw
- The latest version of GL is installed
- I try it with mobile and wifi at home, in the ward, in the company
- The Huawei Mate 9 has a big memory (4GB RAM, 64 GB internal storage, 128 GB SD Card) So I think, or better know, that the storage is no problem.

There are some things who could made the problem. The Android version (Android 8) or it is a "Huawei problem" (again, because I have problems with Android Auto) or there are system settings, who killed the app or a beta version of an other app made (Google) that problem
Did you check for the latest version of Google Play Services?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
slabahn

Post by slabahn »

@sbradshaw
Yes, the latest version of Google Play Services (12.6.73) is installed, because the problems of Android Auto needed it too. My Android Auto make trouble again. I try yesterday evening the "LDS Music" App. There are problems too. I open it. It starts, and as I open the Hyms in the app, it closed without any further info.
I will try some other devices (Honor 6X and Huawei Mediapad)
slabahn

Post by slabahn »

So, I try with my Honor 6X, that shows the same problem. And I found the solution. The problem is once again the Google Play Services.
Go to : settings -> Apps -> Google Play Services. Then click on the three points right and uninstall the updates. After that go to "Storage" and clean the cache. Then "manage space" and "clean all data". then the Gospel Library works. But (very important !) don't restart the phone, then the problems begins again. If you use "Google Backup", the phone ask you again for an account.
That is the same solution, I had to use with Android Auto.
DESTINLEESMITH

Post by DESTINLEESMITH »

This is not a reply but a desire to reach out and say also my app is updating endlessly. I have reinstalled numerous times and still get updating endlessly.
I have a Samsung Galaxy 8 Active. Please advise as my frustration is reaching it's boiling point.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

[Please ignore this post. It refers to LDS Tools and is in the wrong topic. Sorry.]
DESTINLEESMITH wrote:Please advise as my frustration is reaching it's boiling point.
The topic to which you replied is nine months old, but the problem has resurfaced again. This is a new issue discussed here and in a number of Android topics here.

Until the problem is resolved, remember that you can still obtain all of the information you need at Leader and Clerk Resources.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DESTINLEESMITH wrote:This is not a reply but a desire to reach out and say also my app is updating endlessly. I have reinstalled numerous times and still get updating endlessly.
I have a Samsung Galaxy 8 Active. Please advise as my frustration is reaching it's boiling point.
Which app? Tools or Gospel Library. Tools has some problems, but I think GL is still OK. You may need to delete the app and all it's data and try again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”