Automatic Payments

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Automatic Payments

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:56 pm

johnshaw wrote:There are members of the church who believe in their heart of hearts that a recurring payment DOES NOT EQUAL a donation made in faith.

That's one theory. Another is that by policy, donations are not refundable. (See Q12 of the FAQs as well as Handbook 1: 14.4.9)

If you set up automatic payments and then have a change in income (perhaps as a result of an accident), that could compound a bad financial situation. Or consider if a member was killed, the "donations" would continue until the heirs got control of the account - even then, it may be hard for them to disable it. By requiring the person to authorize it each time it minimizes those kinds of problems. With the ability to reuse a prior donation, it's not that great of a burden. Of course, there's still the traditional way with gray envelopes and paper checks.....

Whatever the case, I'm sure the powers that be have heard the request, and for whatever reason, the answer is "no" (at least at this time).
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm confident in my assertion - The Automatic/Recurring payments for ExPat's include automatic payments so the church takes them in that case - which is why It makes no sense other than they control this one where the other one is just using standard banking bill-pay infrastructure.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Another possible reason (and I simply speculate here with no inside knowledge) is that to implement recurring donations would require the Church to maintain additional financial information about each donor. There may be some reason, privacy laws or otherwise, that they do not wish to do so.

Again, just speculation on my part. I have an alert set in my personal calendar that goes off each payday. I also get an alert from the bank when my paycheck arrives there, so I have two different reminders to help me remember.

Return to “Online Donations”