Printable Ward Maps with Households

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
michaelcox

Printable Ward Maps with Households

Post by michaelcox »

on preparedness.lds.org it says "Print a copy each of the map and ward or stake directory to identify member households and missionary residences." (https://providentliving.lds.org/emergen ... n?lang=eng).

The way I understand this, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that I should print a map that shows the Ward boundaries, and then I should plot out where all the members homes are.

Seems like this is exactly what https://www.lds.org/maps/directory does. It is not very print friendly though. Seems like the best option is a bunch of print screens and then go edit it somewhere else. Anyone have a better way to create a Ward map with members homes identified?
berg4680

Re: Printable Ward Maps with Households

Post by berg4680 »

I don't know of anywhere that will just show a map with all members houses already on it, but you can go into google maps and create your own map, draw the outline of the boundary, and put pins at each address you wish. It is pretty easy to use, just will take some time and diligence to input all the data yourself. I believe you can then share this map digitally to anyone you want. Instead of printing out a ton of maps, just have it online where anyone can zoom into whatever part of the map they want.
omfono

Post by omfono »

Has there been any updates on this? When you use the print function on the browser, the menu on the left takes up half the space.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You probably need to submit a suggestion through the Feedback link at the bottom of lds.org. I don't see the link to it on the Maps page. That won't mean it will get done, but that's the official way to submit suggestions like that. I suggest referencing the Provident Living article as the reason why you're trying to do it.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

berg4680 wrote:I don't know of anywhere that will just show a map with all members houses already on it, but you can go into google maps and create your own map, draw the outline of the boundary, and put pins at each address you wish. It is pretty easy to use, just will take some time and diligence to input all the data yourself. I believe you can then share this map digitally to anyone you want. Instead of printing out a ton of maps, just have it online where anyone can zoom into whatever part of the map they want.
But the maintenance... I was able to get a google maps KMZ file from my local planning office so I overlayed a map of the ward boundaries from cdol, and this plot map which gives a very cool map with EACH home defined. But maintaining the names is nearly a full-time job... It would really be nice if we could just print it from the directory.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Post by mevans »

johnshaw wrote:But the maintenance... I was able to get a google maps KMZ file from my local planning office so I overlayed a map of the ward boundaries from cdol, and this plot map which gives a very cool map with EACH home defined. But maintaining the names is nearly a full-time job... It would really be nice if we could just print it from the directory.
Does the CDOL KMZ output include household location? Or did you have to manually add them?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

No, it only includes the boundaries
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”