Recording Sunday School Attendance

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Recording Sunday School Attendance

Post by sbradshaw »

waynecooke wrote:How about just passing around a blank sheet of lined paper with a pen, and have them sign their name. There is your list, and it should be on one to two pages of paper.
This is great for keeping track of who is attending, but unless that information is transferred to a roll or compared to a list later on, it makes it difficult to remember and keep track of those who are not attending.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
klricks

Post by klricks »

In some wards I have been in no roll is sent around the room in Gospel Doc class. It was deemed a distraction that is nor worth the effort and not very accurate as whole sections of people get missed when some pass across the isle and some pass forward or behind etc. No SS numbers are sent to SLC on quarterly report anymore......
Assistant Ward Clerk
bcruzan1

Post by bcruzan1 »

As I understand it, correct the Sunday School attendance numbers aren't sent to HQ. But without taking attendence in one form or another, how do you track a wards' Sunday School membership activity? Tracking this, I find it to be in line with analyzing trends, strengths, and weaknesses. As well as reporting membership participation, which is important in being as accurate as possible. I know it comes down to what your Bishop desires, but I find these numbers to be super helpful and so does my Bishop.

Also, when I approached the Sunday School President, he was super helpful, and eagerly reports the roll numbers to me. I'm not sure if he takes roll himself, or if he sends around the roll. Someone does it though. If anyone out there has a way they find to be easier than paper/pen tracking, I'll be looking for your post.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I don't see why the bishop or his counselors would care about SS attendance statistics. SS attendance is not mentioned in the temple recommend interview. A large number of active members are teaching other classes, away on assignment, or just chilling in the hallways and foyers. If the SS presidency is concerned about attendance, then he should be patrolling the hallways looking for truant members.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
bcruzan1

Post by bcruzan1 »

Interesting. My ward does not have the larger amount of active members out teaching, or on other assignments.
I'm still pretty new to the Ward Clerk calling, but to the concern of why the Bishop would be concerned, I would say that according to the Clerk training the clerk should be prepared with information before its asked for. The Bishop may not know there would be an attendence issue, i.e. Hanging in the hallways. If the question comes up if so-and-so is attending S.S., I'd rather be prepared with that information. I believe under the new temple recommend questions (#8) asks if the person "attends your meetings" which I interpret S.S. to be part of that. In my case, I was asked how many members/who leave right after Sacrament Meeting, and what can we do to help those people stay for S.S. That is a legit concern, so the attendence taking commenced. That's how it could be important to my Bishop but not your situation.

Lastly, Doctrine and Covenants 85:1-2 is what I understand as an example of what to make a record of if I dont know what I could be looking at to track. But that's just how I see it, I could be wrong.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:SS attendance is not mentioned in the temple recommend interview.
True, but I believe it got added by implication with the recent change to the temple recommend interview questions. The old question asked if we attended our sacrament and priesthood meetings. The new question asks if we attend our meetings, without specifying which ones.

The taking of SS attendance is discussed in the Sunday School chapter of Handbook 2, although in practice I do not believe it is often done. As for truant members, I once walked into the foyer during Sunday School and announced that the SS Foyer Class would begin in three minutes. The foyer was empty in two.
ssblakeley

Post by ssblakeley »

I may be a little late to the discussion, but the current attendance role while class-specific in print form is universal where the data is input into the church system. We have struggled as a ward unit to get the attendance information updated from Presidencies outside of the Sunday School.

When the adjustments to the Temple Recommend questions came out, it was explained to us that the reference "meetings" pertained to all meetings that we should be attending.

Return to “Reports and Forms”