Problems loging into LDS Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Problems loging into LDS Tools

Post by russellhltn »

RhondaEastin wrote:I do have a '#' character in my password, could that be causing a problem?
Could be. I'd suggest changing your password to be strictly alphanumeric. Perhaps replace the # with a z or something. You may have to wait 10 minutes or so before it works everywhere. If that fixes it, then I'd suggest reporting it to the developers via the in-app feedback.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RhondaEastin

Post by RhondaEastin »

I changed my password, but it still won't work.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Recently helped someone solve a similar problem. After several hours of struggle, the solution turned out to be:

1. Delete LDS Tools.
2. Restart the iPad.
3. Sign out of iCloud. (For instructions on how to do that, see: http://www.imore.com/how-sign-out-your- ... e-and-ipad)
4. Look up "LDS Tools" in the App Store and install again.
5. Sign in using your LDS Account information.
6. Sign into iCloud, again.

Step 3 is the key. If you don't sign out of iCloud, every time you reinstall, it will reinstall the corrupted version of the app from your iCloud account. Signing out of iCloud forces your phone to get a fresh copy of the app.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Be aware that signing out of iCloud means that "Your iCloud Photo Library and any documents and data stored in iCloud Drive will be removed from" your iPhone or iPad. That can be a real pain in the neck. Make sure you have a full backup before doing this, just in case all of that stuff isn't restored to your device when you sign in again.
ulupoi wrote:Recently helped someone solve a similar problem. After several hours of struggle, the solution turned out to be:

1. Delete LDS Tools.
2. Restart the iPad.
3. Sign out of iCloud. (For instructions on how to do that, see: http://www.imore.com/how-sign-out-your- ... e-and-ipad)

Step 3 is the key. If you don't sign out of iCloud, every time you reinstall, it will reinstall the corrupted version of the app from your iCloud account. Signing out of iCloud forces your phone to get a fresh copy of the app.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Signing out of iCloud will remove more than cached app data, and it may be a pain to get everything in sync again. There's an easier way to remove app data for an individual app from iCloud, in iCloud settings. I haven't seen this particular LDS Tools problem myself, but I'm guessing removing the app data would have the same effect on LDS Tools as signing out. Here are instructions for iOS 11:
  1. Open iOS Settings.
  2. Tap on your name at the top ("Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store").
  3. Tap iCloud.
  4. Tap Manage Storage.
  5. Tap Backups.
  6. Tap your phone's name (or whichever device is having problems).
  7. Toggle off data backups for LDS Tools.
  8. Tap "Turn Off & Delete" when prompted.
After that, you can reinstall LDS Tools fresh from the App Store.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Good idea. One would definitely want to try that first.
sbradshaw wrote:Signing out of iCloud will remove more than cached app data, and it may be a pain to get everything in sync again. There's an easier way to remove app data for an individual app from iCloud, in iCloud settings. I haven't seen this particular LDS Tools problem myself, but I'm guessing removing the app data would have the same effect on LDS Tools as signing out. Here are instructions for iOS 11:
  1. Open iOS Settings.
  3. Tap iCloud.
  4. Tap Manage Storage.
  5. Tap Backups.
rpriscillaj

Post by rpriscillaj »

sbradshaw wrote:Signing out of iCloud will remove more than cached app data, and it may be a pain to get everything in sync again. There's an easier way to remove app data for an individual app from iCloud, in iCloud settings. I haven't seen this particular LDS Tools problem myself, but I'm guessing removing the app data would have the same effect on LDS Tools as signing out. Here are instructions for iOS 11:
  1. Open iOS Settings.
  3. Tap iCloud.
  4. Tap Manage Storage.
  5. Tap Backups.
I am having a similar problem. I really appreciated this comment- which I have tried and it is still not working. Should I go ahead and log out of iCloud?
wgbjlb

Post by wgbjlb »

My Windows phone has not been able to sync for the past month. When I select LDS TOOLS, enter my password, select Sign In - it says preparing to sync, Then says LDS Tools Services are unavailable. Please try again later. Help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wgbjlb wrote:My Windows phone has not been able to sync for the past month. When I select LDS TOOLS, enter my password, select Sign In - it says preparing to sync, Then says LDS Tools Services are unavailable. Please try again later. Help!
Make sure you have the current version.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

ulupoi wrote:Recently helped someone solve a similar problem. After several hours of struggle, the solution turned out to be:

1. Delete LDS Tools.
2. Restart the iPad.

I'm going to recommend that no one follow my original advice (quoted above). As you can see in the comments that follow my original post, including my own, signing out of iCloud and then signing back in results in you having to spend a whole lot of time recovering your device to how it was before, and it is a real pain in the neck. You should avoid doing it.

I also have a new idea of what the problem is. I think that the problem is that some sort or user information in the app that is stored on the device (something equivalent to a cookie on a web browser) gets corrupted. You want to force the app to delete that corrupted user information file and generate a new one.

Try this instead of my original suggestion:
Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage, then scroll down until you see LDS Tools and tap on it. Tap "Delete App, This will delete the app and all related data from this iPhone. This action can't be undone." Then, reinstall the app and log in again.
I haven't tried this method yet, but I think that it will probably work. It won't mess-up anything outside of deleting this particular app, so it's much better than signing out of iCloud.

Return to “Member Tools”