Tool for managing callings

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jds580s

Tool for managing callings

Post by jds580s »

I'm not certain this is the best section to post this, but I hope it's applicable.

I know many wards have used a magnet board with members names to visualize all the callings in a ward. I put together a tool to help do this electronically.

It allows you to work with the most recent data from Leader and Clerk Resources, make changes to callings and then print a report that will summarize all the callings and releases that need to take place.

You can see it here: http://callingmanager.com

Since church data privacy policy does not allow member/mls data to be transmitted to or saved by 3rd parties this is written so that all the data is input, and processing is done on the client side (and can be used offline).

Thanks!
Attachments
CallingManager.com
CallingManager.com
Homepage-small.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
Heatmap-small.jpg
Heatmap of time serving in calling
(124 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Organization.jpg
Detail view with changes color coded
(41.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Final report with a summary of the changes
Final report with a summary of the changes
Printout-small.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
Try these free tools:
MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com - Online calendar for members to sign up and feed the missionaries in your ward.
CallingManager.com - Tool to visualize and manage callings in a ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tool for managing callings

Post by russellhltn »

Nice! Unfortunately, the current policy says "third party software". (Past policy may not have specified that.)

That kinda puts a kink in things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jds580s

Post by jds580s »

To say the least! I need to brush up on the current policy.
On first read that would apply to just about all software, correct?
Does the church maintain a list of what it defines as approved?

I suppose for now anyone can feel free to try out the demo which has been pre-populated with sample information.

Thanks!
Try these free tools:
MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com - Online calendar for members to sign up and feed the missionaries in your ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jds580s wrote:On first read that would apply to just about all software, correct?
That's been debated. Since MLS will do a CSV export, does that mean you're not allowed to import it into OpenOffice/LibreOffice/MS Office? I don't think we have a definitive answer on that.

As for what's approved, the best I can do is point to what is mentioned on the Help pages.

Ultimate authority on how policy is interpreted is with the local units.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jds580s

Post by jds580s »

Thanks! Unless I hear otherwise, I'll keep this tool going and give local leadership the opportunity to interpret the policy as they are inspired.
Try these free tools:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One way to look at is anything you build for your own use isn't "third party". It becomes "third party" when someone else uses it.

jnetane

Post by jnetane »

Is there a way to share this interface once I populate it with data?
jds580s

Post by jds580s »

jnetane wrote:Is there a way to share this interface once I populate it with data?
Not in a way that would let the other party continue working on the data you've modified. For that to work, membership data would have to be saved back to a server and/or transferred electronically which is specifically not allowed.

The best suggestion I could make is to print your changes, either as a hard copy or to a PDF, and then share that document.
Try these free tools:
perrygalan

Post by perrygalan »

I really like the tool and think until the church comes out with a tool this is a great option. Would it be possible to add a link to have "members without callings" so that the bishopric can have a list of names to place without manually entering it? That would be very helpful....Also the "out of unit callings" doesn't seem to be working on my end.
cowboyupbignate

Post by cowboyupbignate »

I second what perrygalan said above, a link to "members without callings" would be awesome and the out of unit callings doesn't seem to work for me either. But overall this website is awesome, thanks so much for doing it!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”