Missionary Dinner Calendar

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jds580s

Re: Missionary Dinner Calendar

Postby jds580s » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:37 am

janicehopkins wrote:I am in charge of Missionary in our ward and I can't see many signing up on line. If it isn't right there in front of me I would forget all about it when I got home.
I love serving our Missionaries and making sure they are taking care of.

I can understand that. It may not be an ideal solution for your ward—It is often easy to forget once you are back home.

Many wards find great success getting signups if they send out an email with a link to calendar and some brief instructions if your members are not familiar with it.

And other wards just use the tool to simplify generating blank calendars each month to pass around on Sunday and don't use the other features.

Thanks!
Try these free tools:
MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com - Online calendar for members to sign up and feed the missionaries in your ward.
CallingManager.com - Tool to visualize and manage callings in a ward

janicita

Postby janicita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

I would reference the Meal Train website for ideas for your new idea. I hope it becomes an official standard tool! I have been thinking of trying Meal Train in our ward, with the hope that less active would sign up. But I'm worried that coordinating the paper version with the online version will cause more work and hassle. I'm sure you have designed a way to print the calendar.

jds580s

Postby jds580s » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 am

janicita wrote:I would reference the Meal Train website for ideas for your new idea. I hope it becomes an official standard tool! I have been thinking of trying Meal Train in our ward, with the hope that less active would sign up. But I'm worried that coordinating the paper version with the online version will cause more work and hassle. I'm sure you have designed a way to print the calendar.

Yes, it's easy to print a paper calendar from the MissionaryDinnerCalendar website. It prints pre-populated with all the current signups so it's easy to see what days are available and which are taken.

Many calendar administrators 1) print a paper calendar on Sunday before going to church. 2) Pass it around the various organizations while at church. 3) When back home or from a mobile device input the names of the people who signed up via paper into the online calendar.

Then some time during the week if there are still appointments available you can send out an email to ward members, non-members, investigators etc... giving them a link to the calendar where they can signup online.

I find in many wards there are tech savvy members who only want to signup online because of how convenient it is to do when at home in front of the family calendar or in a family meeting, and others who are less tech savvy who prefer to put their name down on paper rather than fiddle with phones and email. I wanted to make sure this tool was able to reach both groups equally well.

Thanks!
Try these free tools:
MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com - Online calendar for members to sign up and feed the missionaries in your ward.
CallingManager.com - Tool to visualize and manage callings in a ward

morganbw

Postby morganbw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 am

With reference to Paper/digital sign up conflicts, maybe assign a ward missionary to be in charge of coordinating the calendar. Once that paper calendar has gone around in that class, enter all the sign-ups online immediately. If there is a conflict work it out with both members right there.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:25 am

morganbw wrote:Once that paper calendar has gone around in that class, enter all the sign-ups online immediately.

I'd be cautious about that. If you're inputting people's information into an online system without their permission, you could run into trouble. Blocking off the date without saying who it is would be much safer.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “General Discussions”