Calendar subscriptions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
davidjamesnimmer

Calendar subscriptions

Post by davidjamesnimmer »

I am a stake clerk. How do I know who can see the subscriptions? I am trying to send out a notification and list a stake council/stake PEC meeting, but under event I can only select one or the other. Can I create a new subscription?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar subscriptions

Post by aebrown »

davidjamesnimmer wrote:I am a stake clerk. How do I know who can see the subscriptions? I am trying to send out a notification and list a stake council/stake PEC meeting, but under event I can only select one or the other. Can I create a new subscription?
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. It really doesn't make any sense to talk about an administrator creating a "new subscription"; it sounds like you're confusing a couple of different issues.

A calendar administrator can create (or approve) one or more calendars. Since you're a stake clerk, we're talking here about stake calendars. Each member can then choose to subscribe to any or all of the calendars that he or she has access to (which may be a combination of public and private, ward and stake and Church-wide calendars).

Notifications are tied to an event, and each event is on a particular calendar. When you choose to send out a notification (you have that option when you are creating or updating an event), that notification will be sent to every subscriber of the calendar that contains that event (unless a subscriber has disabled notifications for that calendar, or globally, in their settings).

And to answer your first question, there is no way to see who is subscribed to any calendar. Member get to choose which calendars they subscribe to, and their choice is invisible to you. Your only choice as a calendar editor (or administrator) is whether to send out a notification when you create or update an event.
davidjamesnimmer

For instance if I send a notification for stake PEC, but under events I choose stake meetings, everyone in the stake who has subscribed gets a notification. I have an option under event to choose stake PEC (private), but is the stake presidency subscribed to that and will they get notified. In other words can I see who has subscribed? The other part to the question is if we are having the stake PEC and the bishops meet together do I have to show 2 events, or is there a way to list stake PEC (private) and bishoprics together in the event box? Sorry, I mean the calendar box and not the event box for both questions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davidjamesnimmer wrote:For instance if I send a notification for stake PEC, but under events I choose stake meetings, everyone in the stake who has subscribed gets a notification.
When you say "under events I choose stake meetings" I assume you mean that you choose to put the event titled "stake PEC" on the stake calendar called "stake meetings." If that's indeed what you mean, then yes, any notification related to the "stake PEC" event will go to all subscribers of the "stake meetings" calendar (assuming they have their notification settings turned on).
davidjamesnimmer wrote:I have an option under event to choose stake PEC (private), but is the stake presidency subscribed to that and will they get notified. In other words can I see who has subscribed?
In the particular case of a private calendar, you can't see who is subscribed, but you can look at the calendar (under Settings > Calendars) and see who has been designated (by name or by calling) as a viewer for that calendar. For most private calendars, that's pretty much the same thing, since most people tend to subscribe to their private calendars.
davidjamesnimmer wrote:The other part to the question is if we are having the stake PEC and the bishops meet together do I have to show 2 events, or is there a way to list stake PEC (private) and bishoprics together in the event box? Sorry, I mean the calendar box and not the event box for both questions.
It's rarely a good idea to put an event on more than one calendar, since that will mean that everyone who is subscribed to both calendars will see a duplicate event, and if one or more rooms is reserved via the event, you can only have one event that books those rooms.

There have been lengthy discussions on this forum about the hope some people have that a feature could be added to allow a single event to be on more than one calendar. But that is not an option at this point.
davidjamesnimmer

Re: Calendar subscriptions (building scheduler)

I can manage all the different calendar subscriptions, but for some reason I have no administrative options for the building scheduler calendar. I have tried all the various browsers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar subscriptions (building scheduler)

Post by aebrown »

davidjamesnimmer wrote:I can manage all the different calendar subscriptions, but for some reason I have no administrative options for the building scheduler calendar. I have tried all the various browsers.
Being a stake clerk does not give you the building scheduler role. The building scheduler role must be given to a specific person (or persons) for a particular building. As a stake administrator, you do have the power to give someone that role, so you can assign yourself as a building scheduler for any or all locations in your stake (by editing each location and then adding yourself as a building scheduler). Then you'll be able to access the location calendar.

Return to “Calendar”