WiFi down again

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: WiFi down again

Post by barkeraj »

tyranlewis wrote:I got a call back from SLC. The person said some controller was rebooted and that everything should be back... I had a few people test, nothing yet. I'm trying to contact Support again to report, but the wait says 10 min until I get a person.
So based on when we choose "networking support" it says they are closed, what option are you choosing to have a wait or get a human that will call you back?
clingmann

Post by clingmann »

I had the same exact question, which number are you calling, and which options were you choosing where you actually got to a person who could fix it.

We need to raise the awareness of this issue. . . I don't particularly enjoy spending the whole Sunday responding to "internet is down" text messages, emails and phone calls from an entire Stake.
tyranlewis

Post by tyranlewis »

Option 3.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

GSD is typically offline from 5pm Mountain time on Saturday through 12pm Mountain time on Sundays. As a note, during those times it is not likely to find someone. It could be different by now, but that was the last known hours that I have.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

JohnShaw, you beat me again! By the time I read all three pages of posts, you had already responded.
The meetinghouses in my stake that use Cisco PIX 501 and Cisco Aeronet 1200 seem to be working just fine.
Those that use Cisco ASA 5505 and Aeronet 1200 also seem to be working fine.
One of the meetinghouses that use Cisco ASA 5505 and a Cisco 1401 WAP did report a problem to me today.
My home ward meetinghouse uses an 881W and a 1401. My iPod Touch connected at 1129 CST, and I checked my e-mail. However, an hour later, it could not connect again.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

Sounds like the problem MAY be the Cisco 1401's that seem to stop connecting for some unknown reason. Rebooting seems to help but only for a short time. The real fix seems to come from further up the food chain. Question does continual rebooting of the system or even the 1401's add to the problem or does it have no effect on the real problem.
tyranlewis

Post by tyranlewis »

SLC told me to reset the WAPs. This did not help. I had to power cycle the router / firewall.
danpass

Post by danpass »

danpass wrote:
techgy wrote:
danpass wrote:Our stake center WiFi suddenly started working about 15 minutes ago. I did not have to reboot any network equipment.
This happened to us last week. A while later it was down again. The problem has to be outside of local units since it's occuring on a wide scale.
I understand it has been a wide scale problem. I was hoping that our regaining of connectivity is an indication that the wide scale problem is in the process of being resolved.

How long did it stay up for you before going down again? We've been up for about 35 minutes now.
Unbeknownst to me, my stake president power cycled our network equipment while I was in sacrament meeting. We're back down now. Sorry for the false report.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

KenRichins,

This is poignant - the silence from SLC means we are all doing what we think is best to fix the issue. We reboot firewalls, or cyce the WAP's - but don't really know if it is what we should be doing. Here is the scoop on Cisco Wireless

A Wireless Device can be configured to talk to a primary controller and a secondary controller, I don't actually know if we can do tertiary or not, but failover is automatic, so if the design is correct the downtime shouldn't ever happen.

If the design is not correct, it is likely the result of the automation of the 881W and the 1041 - if that is true, likely the config must change on all those devices which takes a bunch of time, or there is a capacity issue that we've reached and that takes a hardware purchase, install, and re-configure on a bunch of devices.

It would be nice to know which of these is the issue and what the expected eta is on fixing the problem
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I would be fooling myself if I said that I wasn't as frurstrated as everyone else.
Two weeks in a row has definitely messed up Sunday School classes.
However, I've learned from some sad experiences that it's best to just wait and give CHQ a chance to determine the proper course of action in spite of my urge to do something myself to correct the problem and perhaps make things worse.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”