calendar printing errors

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cdurney wrote:I tried syncing the calendar to a Google calendar and to an iCal calendar and printing out those, but I couldn't get that to work satisfactorily.
There's a separate problem with getting that to work.
cdurney wrote:Any suggestions about what else I could do to get a printed calendar in time?
Paste the Sync URL into your browser. You should get a calendar file. (Note that 9 minute rule, or you'll get nothing). Then you can take that file an import it into a calendar of your preference for printing. You could even import into Google.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geneh

Post by geneh »

lajackson, I am offended by your comments in this thread; especially as you are one who represents the church. Your comments are not only insensitive but seem downright rude and condescending. It appears you don’t understand what the problem is or, maybe worse, you don’t care. We are not asking for you to add some NEW functionality to the calendar program. We are asking for you to restore the print capabilities of this program which had been working fine for more than a year until last week when the problem suddenly appeared. Many of us have spent many, many hours inputting calendar information with the expectation that we will be able to provide hard-copies of our calendars to members of our wards and stakes. We are now in a very critical time period. This needs to happen soon. With the print function not working properly it renders the entire program useless for the purpose of making hard copies.
Your comments seem to imply that you have developed quite a lot of patience in your job. Maybe you could try working on a little humility and sensitivity. Are we feeling stressed? Just a little.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

geneh wrote:lajackson, I am offended by your comments in this thread; especially as you are one who represents the church. Your comments are not only insensitive but seem downright rude and condescending. It appears you don’t understand what the problem is or, maybe worse, you don’t care. We are not asking for you to add some NEW functionality to the calendar program. We are asking for you to restore the print capabilities of this program which had been working fine for more than a year until last week when the problem suddenly appeared. Many of us have spent many, many hours inputting calendar information with the expectation that we will be able to provide hard-copies of our calendars to members of our wards and stakes. We are now in a very critical time period. This needs to happen soon. With the print function not working properly it renders the entire program useless for the purpose of making hard copies.
Your comments seem to imply that you have developed quite a lot of patience in your job. Maybe you could try working on a little humility and sensitivity. Are we feeling stressed? Just a little.

lajackson does not represent the church and is just a community member like you or me. The church developers are given priorities from the general authorities and must follow them. They don't decide themselves what is the most important thing to work on.

We appreciate the involvement of development team members like LisaAn. They are under no obligation to participate in the forums. If we as a community don't treat them with respect and patience they will undoubtedly stop participating which would be unfortunate for both us and for the developers as well.

I'm sure lajackson meant no offense. He was just trying to communicate that the development team is very busy and he indicated how we as forum members can help them. He was just trying to be helpful in the only way he (and we) can.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

geneh wrote:lajackson, I am offended
I apologize if my comments led you to be offended. I had no such desire. I obviously made a very unsuccessful attempt to inject some reality and humor into the situation.
geneh wrote:It appears you don’t understand what the problem is or, maybe worse, you don’t care.
I do understand the problem and I do care. And I am especially frustrated because I have no control over it and can do nothing about it. I am sorry to have stirred some sensitivities by repeating some things that I mistakenly thought had been obvious from previous posts in this thread.
geneh wrote:We are not asking for you to add some NEW functionality to the calendar program. We are asking for you to restore the print capabilities of this program
You are asking me to do things I cannot do. There is no one here who can do them.

As I explained earlier (but obviously not very well), there is one person here who sometimes sees the posts and relays them to the developers who program the Church web site, which includes the Calendar.

It is very possible that your excellent comment at post #19 of this thread will help the developers in troubleshooting what when wrong and when.
geneh wrote:Maybe you could try working on a little humility and sensitivity.
Yes, you are very correct. I still struggle with both of those traits. Again, I am sorry to have touched a sensitive nerve. I did not intend that at all.
geneh wrote:Are we feeling stressed? Just a little.
I understand the stress. I am in the same boat. I cannot print my calendars. The new year is rapidly approaching. The reality is that the problem may not be solved in time.

Sadly, if hard copy is required, there is nothing I can do about it except to find a different way to get the calendar information onto paper. At least for now.
geneh

Post by geneh »

My apologies to any and all who have been offended by anything I wrote. I allowed my frustration to spill into the forum. I am not that experienced at using forums. I thought when I saw titles such as "Moderator" and "Administrator" that I was talking to someone who was actually in a position to do something to solve the problem. That is not an excuse, however. Sorry again. I will do better in the future.
I decided to work around the problem by building my calendar month by month using Excel. Probably not the best solution and definitely not the way I planned to spend Thanksgiving week but it was the best solution I could think of and one where I feel I have more control over the outcome. I almost have the entire calendar finished. Just one final check and I think it will be ready for the printer. Thanks for your help.
bwoodcox

Post by bwoodcox »

If it weren't so frustrating, the printing problems would be comical. If I print in "landscape" mode the calendar drops off different events than when I print in "portrait" mode. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with number events. For example, on January 1, 2013, I have entered "New Years Day" as an all day event on the calendar. It prints on the "landscape" view, but not on the "portrait" view. It also doesn't appear to have anything to do with repeating events. I have entered Ward Conference dates on my stake calendar. There are two on the same day, but entered as individual events. One prints, and the other doesn't. The funny thing is that on the "portrait" view one ward prints and on the "landscape" view the other ward prints.

Any help or suggestions on the printing issue would be appreciated - a speedy "fix" would also be appreciate. We are trying to come to the time when we won't need printed calendars, but we are not there yet and probably won't be for a while.

Thanks for your help.
robertsonr1

Post by robertsonr1 »

I have gotten different events to show up at different times as well, but without switching landscape to portrait, or anything at all. It's kind of fun to just keep hitting the "generate preview" button to see what will come up each time. Sometimes it goes back and forth between two activities on a given day, sometimes it sticks with the same one. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.

For multi-day entries, like the DI-trailer, or the temple being closed or Friends of Scouting week, it really shifts the look around each time. It appears that the start date is all that matters in whether it bumps another entry, as I've had two all day activities show up on the same calendar on the same date, but one of them is always one that started on a previous date.

We really do need to wrap up our stake calendar soon, so I'm probably going to have to go with the last working calendar I saved as a pdf a couple weeks ago, even though it needs a few corrections. Not much I can do about those, though, it seems.
howlettgs

Printer errors from PDF

Post by howlettgs »

I am a Family History Center Director, and we use the calendar to schedule the volunteer staff. It has worked previously, but now it will print only one of the staff members scheduled for a given time. This makes the calendar totally useless for anything but online users, and we have volunteers who are not members and thus can't get online access. In the past we have printed copies of the calendar to give to these volunteers, but can no longer do so. Will we now have to abandon the Church Calendar to do our job?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

howlettgs wrote:Will we now have to abandon the Church Calendar to do our job?
For the time being, until the fix is released, we all have to deal with the same limitation. The development team has limited resources and use a priority list for their work schedule. What may appear to some of us as high priority may be low on the development team's priority list. All we can do is offer patience.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

howlettgs wrote:In the past we have printed copies of the calendar to give to these volunteers, but can no longer do so.

The Calendar development team is aware of the problem and will fix it at some point. They have many things to work on (which includes several applications in addition to the Calendar), so they have to prioritize the work. We have heard no date when the fix will be deployed.
howlettgs wrote:Will we now have to abandon the Church Calendar to do our job?

I guess the answer to that depends on your level of patience and your other options. This problem will definitely be fixed, but as I said above, we don't know when.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”