Remote support/control software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

RussellHltn wrote:The broadcast was talking about clerk computers, but it was specifically mentioned that using teamviewer in the church was against it's ELUA. So I can't see how it's allowable on the FHC computer. Nor can I see what advantage it would be to do that to a FHC computer. The only uses I can think of likely violate someone's ELUA.

When anyone calls for support on a family history computer they will install teamviewer and remote in to systems. Check this page. https://familysearch.org/remote/

Documentation exists in the familysearch help area indicating that STS are allowed to get an account on landesk to remote into computers. When I logged my request for access i was told to use teamviewer, and requested that they update their documentation.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:When anyone calls for support on a family history computer they will install teamviewer and remote in to systems. Check this page. https://familysearch.org/remote/

Documentation exists in the familysearch help area indicating that STS are allowed to get an account on landesk to remote into computers. When I logged my request for access i was told to use teamviewer, and requested that they update their documentation.

I was aware of the LANDesk remote, but not that FS had switched to TeamViewer for what they're doing. Hopefully, either TV allows it for the type of non-profit that FamilySearch is, or they bought the license for it. Interesting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

They bought Licenses but limit the seats very closely as they are about $400 per seat!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

KenRichins wrote:They bought Licenses but limit the seats very closely as they are about $400 per seat!

So are we to assume that unless we have one of the licenses, we are not allowed to use this tool? I'm asking because our stake sponsors an unofficial Family History Center and is unlikely to obtain one of the seats.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:So are we to assume that unless we have one of the licenses, we are not allowed to use this tool? I'm asking because our stake sponsors an unofficial Family History Center and is unlikely to obtain one of the seats.

My default assumption is that all tools for the FHC are not available to you and then see if there are exceptions. Some of the FamiilySearch partners are willing to give free copies of their software to unofficial FHCs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

The TeamVierwer licenses allow Church employees to use TeamVierwer to connect to remote computers. NOT for Clerks to connect remotely to do their work nor for STS's to work on Church Computers. Those authorized to use TeamVierwer would have a license and know how to use it. The ONLY reason I mentioned the licenses was it was stated that the Church need a licenses to do what they where doing, and I personally know that they do have the correct licenses and that THAT is nor should be an issue for this discussion.

harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Back in July, I was sent a private email by sjager of desktop support. He said:

I saw your post on the forum about team viewer. Please do not use it.
CHQ has talked with the vendor and found we are not allowed to use the software.

So team viewer is off my list and I'm not sure what I can use when necessary to connect to a remote computer. The only option that I can see is that I would have to drive as much as 45 minutes to help solve issues that may only take my 5 minutes. So I guess that I will have to figure something out.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

harddrive, did he differentiate between FHC and clerk computers?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

But TeamViewer isn't free?
If not, why don't use VNC?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:But TeamViewer isn't free?

Not for church use.
marianomarini wrote:If not, why don't use VNC?
Unless something has changed, VNC requires a port to be opened on the firewall. The firewall is controlled by the church.

That still leaves the question of if it's allowed by policy.

Return to “Clerk Computers”