Updating Address After Moving

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
martyriker

Post by martyriker »

I found that if I edited their membership record from the lds.org log in (as the bishop, I can do this) and didn't change anything, that their geocode was updated and their dot moved to their new address. Automagically.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

martyriker wrote:I found that if I edited their membership record from the lds.org log in (as the bishop, I can do this) and didn't change anything, that their geocode was updated and their dot moved to their new address. Automagically.
That's good to know. However, the address marker in the Maps application will still be in an unverified state, which is appropriate -- the position will be only as good as the built-in geocoding can place it, which is often pretty good, but sometimes misses by a house or two or three. So a clerk or bishopric member still needs to place the marker exactly or at least verify the location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

MLS -> LDS.ORG Maps not interacting correctly.

On 2-Sep-2012 Using my ward MLS software, I requested and received the records for a new couple in my ward (in SLC, Utah) who moved from Logan, Utah.
On the afternoon of 3-Sep-2012, I went to the Maps application on LDS.ORG to position and verify the location of recent move-ins.
The map location indicator (orange dot) for the couple that I requested and received membership records for about 24 hours earlier is showing as a verified location IN LOGAN, UTAH.
It appears that if a household location has been VERIFIED at their old location; that moving the household memberships to another unit (hundreds of miles away in this case), has no effect within the Maps application.
When a household is moved to a different ward in MLS and the household address changes, then the Maps application should: 1. Mark the household as UNMAPPED. 2. Attempt to geo-code the new address and if successful, set the new geo-location and set the status to UNVERIFIED.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Could you wait another day or so to see if the mapped location changes and the verified status resets to unverified and report back? There still may be some delays in the processing of move-ins for the Maps program.

I have noticed that moves within our ward (same ward but different address) are being coded for the new address and the verified status is resetting to "unverified". However I have not been checking the amount of time it takes for the new address to be reflected in the coding or verification reset.

We do have some new move-ins for which we have not yet received the records. I will check to see how those are handled.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

jdlessley wrote:Could you wait another day or so to see if the mapped location changes and the verified status resets to unverified and report back? There still may be some delays in the processing of move-ins for the Maps program.
I've been waiting 24 hours. Is that not long enough? The failure I described is an example of multiple instances of this problem that I've seen.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Twenty four hours should be enough. But having it take forty eight hours is not unheard of either.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bclawson

Post by bclawson »

I am having the same problem, there are a number of households in our ward that are showing in the wrong places after their addresses have been updated in MLS (days, weeks, months later). However, if I edit their record through lds.org as Bishop, I don't even have to log out of the maps page just refresh it and the pin moves to the correct location as an unverified location (which is what I would expect).

This has recently become a big issue for me since the new release of LDS Tools on Android now uses these map coordinates rather than the address when navigating to an members home. I hope this can be resolved quickly since my clerks primarily use MLS for all their membership updates.

I love the applications, just hope they keep getting better.

Bruce Clawson
greggo

Post by greggo »

I don't think the issue you described will be resolved any time soon or even at all.
I have discussed this a number of times in this forum and sent messages directly to CHQ about it, and it seems there are a number of folks who don't see this as an issue. The thing is that many wards regularly verify addresses (i.e. change the marker from what was automatically positioned to a more accurate location). If MLS were to trigger a new automatic position change every time the address is updated (even for just to correct a spelling error, etc.) it might be a problem for them (they'd have to move the marker back to where it was originally verified). At this point, I'm just glad that there is a way to auto re-map without having to verify every incorrect location (by the way, if the address description is correct, there's no need for you to actually edit the data - just edit/save). It's a bit of a pain, but better than having to verify each address.
ASimo

Post by ASimo »

I have had this problem since my calling on 8 Apr 2012. I thought it was an issue with my new calling. I just now found this forum and realize that many of us have this issue. As recently as three weeks ago I was still moving markers from that 8 Apr 2012 date, or earlier. If you are getting markers to move within 24 - 48 hours, that is wonderful. I have moved no fewer than 21 markers in that period of time. Granted, about six or eight markers have moved automatically--but I don't understand what the difference is in those cases. I have had to move some markers from within the ward (as members changed location) in Phoenix, and some have had to be moved from California, Ohio, or New York. Prior location does not seem to matter in my experience thus far. Again, I am new in my calling as membership clerk, and I was concerned that this was an isolated situation with my calling. But markers have remained in the wrong location for me for as long as 16 weeks! I have begun to verify markers for each "new move-in" as just a routine part of my calling. And almost all of them have had to be moved by me.
Wheatley2

Problem still not fixed

Post by Wheatley2 »

jdlessley wrote:I expect the programmers are working on the issue. For now, those with administrator rights for verifying household locations (unit clerk, assistant clerk, assistant clerk - membership) are the only ones who can move the household location.

How do we ensure the programmers are working on the issue? My household is experiencing the issues descried above. We moved and our household location has been verified by my old ward and so now I cannot update my own location because it has been verified.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”