Forgotten user name and abandoned email

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
alan.richardson

Forgotten user name and abandoned email

Post by alan.richardson »

Was trying to assist a member who was trying to recover his username. However, he no longer has access to the email account that is listed in LDS Account (changed ISP). Short of requesting individual support through "Is your question not answered above?" on the help page, is there another path?

We tried to make a new LDS Account, but as expected the original one prevented creating a new one.

As an afterthought (we had already left the building), can his Ward Clerk update the individual email address in MLS to his current email and then LDS Account would use THAT address to allow him to recover his username email?

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you go to ldsaccount.lds.org and click "can't sign in" and follow the questions, you'll be able to recover the user name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alan.richardson

Couldn't find anything in the scenarios listed, except submitting an individual request. Do you know if changing the email address through MLS will help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan.Richardson wrote:Couldn't find anything in the scenarios listed
Click on "Can't sign in"
Click on "How do I recover my user name?"
Check "I don't have/remember my email?"

Does that not fit the situation?

Alan.Richardson wrote:Do you know if changing the email address through MLS will help?

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

At http://ldsaccount.lds.org

Click Can't Sign In? button.

Under Sign In Issues click 1. How do I recover my user name?

Put a check in the box I don't have/remember my e-mail

That opens a new question Are you an LDS Church member?

Click on Yes
That opens two more questions.

First question: Membership Record Number.

Type the complete Membership Record Number in to the Box below the question.

Second question: Date of Birth?

Select Day of month of birth in first Box,

Select Monthof birth in the second Box,

Type 4 digit year of birth in the Third box

go down to: Type the letters you see in the image into the Box below

Click Recover My User Name button.

A pop-up windows will appear

A Pop-up windows will appear withthe question is this you?

Click Yes

Your user name will be in parentheses after your name at the top of the pop-up window.

click OK

Sign in at http://ldsaccount.lds.org and edit profile to correct your e-mail to a current e-mail address.
alan.richardson

We were previously focusing on the message that it was sending an email to the old (wrong) email address and didn't notice the "(username)" displayed at the top of the page. In our defense (LOL) it wasn't identified as that, and the only option provided at the bottom of the window to keep the (bad) address was also distracting us. I think this is going to work. Thanks! To all.
alan.richardson

Jumped the gun a bit (again). Now with his user name, we have the same problem with forgotten password. The reset password link sends an email to the old email address. What am I missing this time?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

An e-mail address is not required if you following the steps to recover the username without e-mail address which KenRichins graciously provided in post #5. The only change to those instructions is the last step.

Once you acknowledge that you are who is displayed you will be given the option of changing the e-mail address. I didn't change my e-mail address so I can only assume that once the new address is recorded you will be sent to the user name recovery screen just as I was sent when I clicked "Retain Current Address". Once you fill in the information there a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the new e-mail address as well as the alternate e-mail address, if any provided, recorded in your LDS Account profile.

With the new e-mail address you can recover/reset the lost password if necessary by following the steps found by clicking question 2 under "Sign-in Issues. An e-mail will be sent to your new e-mail address to recover the password.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan.Richardson wrote: What am I missing this time?
Probably this step:
KenRichins wrote:Put a check in the box I don't have/remember my e-mail
alan.richardson

With or without the check mark we are only seeing one button - to keep the email. If I try using my ldsaccount information, there are two buttons - to keep or to change the email.

The plot thickens . . .

Return to “Church Account”