Gospel Library (Local Desktop Client)

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan.haver wrote:I've wanted to digitize all my notes and all my personal cross references within the Mobile Gospel Library apps, but it seems to be such a daunting task on a mobile device. My main reasoning for wanting to use the apps is that the information is synced bewteen devices.

A desktop version would be an amazing aid to many users that want universal access to their studies and notes. Is there any update as to if there will ever be a desktop version of Gospel Library as we know it currently on most mobile platforms?
See my response to your other post on this topic.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RonaldF

Post by RonaldF »

dennisn wrote:A more modest request / hope would be - just a standalone vanilla version of the Gospel Library with good navigation and the ability to view the footnotes. The Internet version is great, but with my netbook, there are many times I do not have internet access. Is anybody aware of something like this? Or, has any more tech-savvy user tried to use wget to convert the Internet version to a standalone desktop version? Thanks.

There is a E-book reader that might meet your needs. YanCEdesktop runs on any PC and has an extensive library. http://www.yanceydesktop.com/
Navigation is very good. Manuals are linked to the scriptures. If you have a large library, finding a particular book can be troublesome. I have almost 1600 books in my library. You can download books at http://www.thecoffeys.net/ebooks/defaul ... type=Other
The best part is that they are all free.
wlhunag

Post by wlhunag »

I am a member in Taiwan.
I download the LDSView software, but it doesn't have Traditional Chinese scriptures .
Do any one know when will it have Chinese scriptures in it.
Or do any one know how can I contact the developer of LDSView?
Thanks.

(There is Chinese triple combination in LDS Gospel Library on Android, so I guess if they want to integrate the Chinese database into LDSView , it will not be so hard.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wlhunag wrote:I am a member in Taiwan.
I download the LDSView software, but it doesn't have Traditional Chinese scriptures .
Do any one know when will it have Chinese scriptures in it.
Or do any one know how can I contact the developer of LDSView?

I'd suggest trying the LDSView Support page for details on how to contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wlhunag

Post by wlhunag »

I had surveyed that page many times , but I didn't find the contact information.
Thank you for your reply(and hyperlink). I finally found the software's contact information!
Christopherst

Re: Gospel Library (Local Desktop Client)

Post by Christopherst »

I have used the "LDS Scriptures: CD-Rom Edition" on my Windows machine using XP. Its a great piece of software, but the only problem is I want a similar version of the software using Mac. Why is that everyone uses Windows and no Mac version?

I realize that I would have to install an emulator to run Windows 7 on my Mac but I dont know of any freeware that would allow me to do this without having to buy an extensive package for emulation. Does anyone know about this?

I have a Macbook Pro which is nice because I can surf the web when I have wifi, but when I dont have any access I found the LDS Scriptures for Mac, Win, and Mobile Devices which is a third party software for desktops and laptops. When i have wifi I can connect to lds.org and view the scriptures, but I dont always have internet access.

Is there any news of getting Gospel Library for desktops and laptops when not connected to wifi?

Thanks,

Christopher
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

christopherst wrote:I have used the "LDS Scriptures: CD-Rom Edition" on my Windows machine using XP. Its a great piece of software, but the only problem is I want a similar version of the software using Mac. Why is that everyone uses Windows and no Mac version?
While you can download it via BYU under it's new name, it's no longer being distributed by the Church in their store. Nor is it distributed by Deseret Book.

christopherst wrote:Is there any news of getting Gospel Library for desktops and laptops when not connected to wifi?
Supposedly we're living in a post-PC era now. To my knowledge there is no development for Gospel Library going on for any desktop/laptop form factor.

You might look into running the program under Wine. A quick web search turned up some instructions for installing Wine on a Mac, so it seems like a viable plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

christopherst wrote:Is there any news of getting Gospel Library for desktops and laptops when not connected to wifi?
I think your best bet would be to run Bluestacks (which is now available for Mac) and install the Android version of Gospel Library there.

One significant advantage of that approach over using the Scriptures CD-ROM edition is that your annotations will sync with Notes and Journal on LDS.org.
Markrasmuson

Post by Markrasmuson »

Here is the Windows desktop version of LDS Gospel Library, compatible with Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... quirements

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I know I just thought to check for a desktop application today. I have used the mobile versions of Gospel Library for many years, as well as the online version at lds.org. The desktop application has the same feel and similar functionality to the mobile version(s).
evansabekah

Re:

Post by evansabekah »

tennchad wrote:I would love a PC Desktop Client!

Return to “Gospel Library”