Cisco 881W - get to know!

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
stephen500

Cisco 881W - get to know!

Post by stephen500 »

We are just starting to have the 881W installed in our stake and have 3 so far.
It would be nice as STS to have a nice manual on the 881W, but I don't.
So could any one put any info they have on the 881W here as a support.
I am going to research it myself, but any help is appreciated.
I also need to look at how to disable wireless so that when we have a web conference we can consider doing that to restrict the bandwidth available for the conference.
Whether that be us broadcasting our own stake conference or receiving a conference.
At the stake centre, we have at most 3.5mbps.
So any help with the 881w would be great.
I also need to look up the BT business hub we use, BT model 2701HGV-C.
All of this is for the future, at present it works well.
Stephen Sinclair, butt Stake clerk, STS, Chester.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stephen500 wrote:We are just starting to have the 881W installed in our stake and have 3 so far.
It would be nice as STS to have a nice manual on the 881W, but I don't.
You can find some information here. But note that the church controls the device remotely, so a manual will be of little use. Basic church instructions can be found here. By in large, your job is to insure that nobody plays with the cables to bypass it.

stephen500 wrote:I also need to look at how to disable wireless so that when we have a web conference we can consider doing that to restrict the bandwidth available for the conference.
That advice has been to simply remove the antennas. That will limit it's range. Otherwise you'd have to call GSC, but it's been suggested that they're not too accommodating of temporary shutdowns.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

rbeede

Post by rbeede »

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Wireless_netwo ... etinghouse) also for useful information about additional wireless configuration.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

stephen500 wrote:I also need to look at how to disable wireless so that when we have a web conference we can consider doing that to restrict the bandwidth available for the conference.
We cannot disable the 881W wireless from our end. The best choice, as already stated, is to remove the antennae to reduce the range. When the LDS Account credentialing is implemented there will be an ability for an STS to disable the wireless through an administrative website application.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scotthamilton57
Church Employee
Church Employee

Well-said, jdlessley

Post by scotthamilton57 »

For now, there isn't a way to fully disable the wireless on the 881W, but we are working on a tool that will allow this in the future.
usuhamlet

Post by usuhamlet »

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the Cisco 881-W routes traffic over VPN? We have had many issues with broadcasting from our stake center to other buildings in our stake, both General Conference and Stake Conference. One of the former STS thinks that one of the problems could be that all of the traffic is routed over VPN. Any ideas would be helpful. I am planning on testing the network during the times that we have really noticed the problems to see what configuration(s) work best for broadcasting. If I find anything significant I will post.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

usuhamlet wrote:Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the Cisco 881-W routes traffic over VPN?
VPN is primarily used for the GSC to access a local network, and more specifically the 881 or any WAPs for remote access. Outgoing and incoming traffic use the standard Internet interface. The Church uses VPN for other tasks but not for general Internet use.
usuhamlet wrote:We have had many issues with broadcasting from our stake center to other buildings in our stake, both General Conference and Stake Conference.
What are the problems specifically? They may be the same others have experienced and those who experienced those issues may have solutions to offer.
usuhamlet wrote:One of the former STS thinks that one of the problems could be that all of the traffic is routed over VPN.
Webcasting and PVC do not use VPN.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
stephen500

Re: Cisco 881W - get to know!

Post by stephen500 »

Removing antennas does not work as there are repeaters in the building.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Cisco 881W - get to know!

Post by aebrown »

stephen500 wrote:Removing antennas does not work as there are repeaters in the building.
When you say "repeaters" I assume you are referring to wireless access points such as Cisco 1041n devices. While that's true in many buildings, it's a simple matter to disconnect them for events where you want to limit wireless access. They will be plugged into the 881W firewall, and will almost always have a power injector that supplies their power via Power over Ethernet. If you disconnect the cables that go from the injectors to the WAPs, you will remove both data and power to the WAPs, and they will no longer be an issue.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”