remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:This forum is primarily user-to-user type of help. As such, we don't have the ability to fix your membership information. Only the clerk(s) in your Ward/Stake have dominion over your membership records. Some of us have tried to "fix the system" but so far have not been successful in convincing anyone that a change is needed.

So far the advice we've gotten is to have your ward clerk call Local Unit Support and keep on them until they fix it.

Failing that, I'm not sure what else to suggest other then a strongly worded letter sent to the legal department.
She might try contacting the Church Data Privacy Officer: dataprivacyofficer@ldschurch.org. Better yet, seek the counsel of her stake president, and ask him to contact that office. Having suggested that avenue, I cannot promise that it will solve the problem. With the concurrence of my bishop, I already tried reporting this to issue to the privacy office almost a year ago.

This good sister is certainly not alone. About 10 percent of the households in our ward are affected by this issue (having non-member spouse listed in the directory without permission, including those who do not belong to the actual household in MLS).

Given the way the software works today, her only immediate recourse is to log into the website directory herself and suppress the display of her entire household. Or ask her ward clerk to do so. Unfortunately, this action will make it impossible for most members of the unit to find her family's listing online at all.

BTW, I have never been able to understand how this online directory, as implemented, complies with the Church Handbook 2, which says in part:
21.1.15 Directories

Stake and ward directories may be published according to the following instructions:

Names, addresses and phone numbers may be included in a directory only if they are listed in a commercial telephone directory or, if they are unlisted, if the member gives permisssion.
rnphong

Post by rnphong »

Thank you for your replies thus far. I did contact 801-240-3500, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. I talked with an initial representative who was not able to assist. I reached him by entering 0 when the automated system did not offer an option for the support that I needed. He said he could change my last name if I wanted, which I don't because I am using my legal name. Then he stated the removal of my nonmember husband from the online entry was beyond is capability and placed me on hold. I then spoke to someone else, who also stated he was unable to make such corrections. He filled out a form and told me it may be two weeks before I hear any reply. I have experience with databases, and this kind of a repair generally only takes a minute or two. It is really unfortunate that no one is able to help.

I did make our family entry private so that only administrators can view it. I did also discuss this matter with our Stake President's wife. After talking with her husband, she referred me to the Stake Clerk, who stated all was well in MLS. He has never accessed lds.org and said he had no idea how to fix the online directory entry.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would follow up with the Data Privacy Officer at DataPrivacyOfficer@ldschurch.org because I think that is where the most effective influence will come. This is a serious matter in most other countries and the Church is scrambling to deal with it. In the United States, there seems to be less of an understanding of these things, and the laws are certainly less stringent.

I recommend that the member e-mail the Data Privacy Officer with specific information and request a prompt response. The office has a published response time of 30 days, whether or not they are able to resolve the matter.

I also suggest she continue to suppress her family information, and that if the members ask why, she indicate that the Church is unable to solve some privacy issues at this time, and when they do, she will allow her information to be displayed. If her leaders ask why, she should tell them, and enlist their assistance in solving the problem so they will be better able to function in their callings.

It is perfectly normal for the stake president to refer this matter the stake clerk, but I get the impression from this thread that the stake clerk does not really understand the issue or what to do about it. On the other hand, if the stake clerk was up to speed, he could then invite the stake president to pursue the matter. I believe this would also result in a more expeditious response from those who should be working this issue at lds.org but who are swamped and do not seem to have the right priority on this problem.

I am sure the programmers will get with it as soon as they receive the proper direction.
rnphong

Post by rnphong »

My record is now correct, and it only took me a few weeks. I am very happy with the outcome.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rnphong wrote:My record is now correct, and it only took me a few weeks. I am very happy with the outcome.
That's good news, and it's good of you to report back. Several suggestions were made in this thread, so it's not obvious what may have solved your issue. It might help others who may read this thread if you could share what process finally corrected your record. Was it your contact with your stake clerk? ward clerk? the Data Privacy Officer? Local Unit Support?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rnphong

Post by rnphong »

I contacted MLS support at (801) 240-3500. I pressed zero at the prompt. I then talked to someone who completed a request to suppress my husband's name from the record. He said it could take a few weeks, but was accomplished within two days.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

rnphong wrote:I contacted MLS support at (801) 240-3500. I pressed zero at the prompt. I then talked to someone who completed a request to suppress my husband's name from the record. He said it could take a few weeks, but was accomplished within two days.
I am glad that the solution satisfies this sister's particular need. But from the standpoint of local clerks and leaders, I am left wondering exactly what this action -- originally suggested by the moderator in a previous comment -- does.

What does "to have the marriage record suppressed" mean, if anything, beyond just suppressing display of the non-member spouse's name in the online directory? The behavior of the directory, and only that, is really the focus of this thread. Which makes the broad wording of that suggestion seem odd. Is the actual marriage record suppressed from display in a Member Record or IOS? Is the marriage status changed? Is anything in MLS affected, or only the website?
kteubank

Post by kteubank »

If the couple is seperated or not living in the same household with the rest of the family the Bishop or ward clerk contact's Local Unit Support (855-537-4357) and we can have the husband/wife listing on lds.org removed. The marriage information in MLS is what is driving lds.org to list the husband and wife
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

I finally got to experience this in practice today. A sister in my ward asked to have her husband's name removed from the online directory. Her husband is not a member and does not live with her.

I called (855-537-4357) and navigated the menu to Local Unit Support. When I told them the problem, they first suggested I do a membership refresh in MLS. I told them about this thread on the forum and kteubank's instructions to call. I was put on hold for a short time, then they asked for the name of the member, the name of her husband, my name, unit number, and telephone number. They told me they would forward this to the appropriate department and they would call me if they needed any additional information.

I plan to keep my eye on the directory over the next few days to see if there is any change.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

I got a call back from Local Unit Support today. The analyst who spoke to me had two questions: (1) Is this sister divorced or still currently married? and (2) Is the husband living at the same address?

I thought I gave him that information with my first call, but I answered his questions and he told me he would have "the developers" remove the spouse from the online directory. I printed copies of the Membership Record and Individual Ordinance Summary so I could see if any changes were made on them when the online directory entry was fixed.

I will report back when this is all done.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”