Wireless Coverage Solution

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bradleywarnock

Post by bradleywarnock »

We have had good success using a Symmetry Wireless True Gain Module in buildings. It attaches to the Cisco 881w to cover the entire building with wireless coverage. You can find more info on the Internet at www.symmetrywireless.com. Might be an interesting option to reduce new wiring and the need for specific AP placement.

Moderator note: The first five posts of this thread were moved from theNetworking equipment thread. The first post was made without disclosure as to the identity of the poster. Post #6 is at the request of the moderators for full disclosure to prevent the poster from being banned for spamming the forum.http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?8844-Networking-equipment
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

what model did you use and what was the cost?
bradleywarnock

Post by bradleywarnock »

Model SGM-2410ID-M3 MSRP $999.95 LDS Church price $450 with shipping included.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bradleywarnock wrote:LDS Church price $450 with shipping included.

Is this through the FM group, or are they just giving a church price?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bradleywarnock

Post by bradleywarnock »

Just a church price.
bradleywarnock

Post by bradleywarnock »

For full disclosure, I am the VP Sales and Marketing at Symmetry Wireless. A number of local stakes have used the Symmetry Wireless True Gain Module with success. It's a module that installs with the Cisco 881w (WiFi 802.11n) to give far greater wireless coverage - in many cases cover the entire building from a single access point. This reduces need for more APs and the labor and expense of their installation.

You can find more info on the Internet at http://www.symmetrywireless.com.

Thank you, Brad
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradleywarnock wrote:For full disclosure, I am the VP Sales and Marketing at Symmetry Wireless. A number of local stakes have used the Symmetry Wireless True Gain Module with success. It's a module that installs with the Cisco 881w (WiFi 802.11n) to give far greater wireless coverage - in many cases cover the entire building from a single access point. This reduces need for more APs and the labor and expense of their installation.

You can find more info on the Internet at http://www.symmetrywireless.com.

Thank you, Brad

Our FM group recently installed the Cisco 881 in one of our buildings and it covers about 1/3 of the territory, meaning we probably are looking at two additional access points for full coverage, unfortunately sometime in next year's FM budget. Is this device comparable in price, i.e., would it be less expensive than the two APs? And have you run any tests in an older building with lots of cinder block wall that is so conducive to hiding WiFi signals?

And does the FM group have access to it through their ordering process?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One question I have is how this works as far as support from Global Service Desk. I think the 1040W have various features such as sensing each other and responding by picking different channels. I think I also saw something about being able to detect rouge access points.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

According to the web site this is booster for the antennas on the 881. Should have NO changes to the system and probably can not even be detected by Global Services. IF the FM group would purchase I think we could see some real savings in setup of wireless in MOST buildings. Wish I knew how to get it on the FM list so they could purchase them for us.
bradleywarnock

Post by bradleywarnock »

Our FM group recently installed the Cisco 881 in one of our buildings and it covers about 1/3 of the territory, meaning we probably are looking at two additional access points for full coverage, unfortunately sometime in next year's FM budget. Is this device comparable in price, i.e., would it be less expensive than the two APs? And have you run any tests in an older building with lots of cinder block wall that is so conducive to hiding WiFi signals?

And does the FM group have access to it through their ordering process?
Thanks lajackson, True Gain is a good fit for your situation. We offer it at $450 shipping included (55% off). How does that compare with 2 APs? We have several installed in older buildings with lots of cinder block and brick - works great. You have to order it direct, it's not available through the FM group today. Thanks.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”