Calendar Ideas

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kennova

Calendar Ideas

Post by kennova »

1. Send email reminders to specific people. I have a Bishop's Appointments calendar and I'd like to send an email reminder (and so would the Bishop) to the person who the appt is for. I can't add that person as a viewer of that calendar since those appt's need to be confidential

2. A Day view. Some of these days have multiple appts that are quite short (Temple Recommend interviews, tithing settlement, etc..) and the Weekly view does not show each day big enough to see each time slot.

3. Email a daily agenda to a specific person with all the appointments from every calendar that person has rights to (or selecting the calendars you want to include before you send). Some of our Bishopric don't have iPhones or iPads and so I end up exporting the daily calendar by had to Word or a peice of paper. Very 1995. :)
Kenn North
Texas
kennova

Post by kennova »

With regard to a Day view. One of our Bishopric members kept hitting "Today" thinking he would get that.. So from a UX point of view that's one vote for it being a bit confusing.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:2. A Day view. Some of these days have multiple appts that are quite short (Temple Recommend interviews, tithing settlement, etc..) and the Weekly view does not show each day big enough to see each time slot.
Several people (including yourself in this post) have suggested this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kennova

Post by kennova »

Yeah I was looking for a new "Suggested Features" thread since the last release and couldn't find one. So I made a new one. :)
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:Yeah I was looking for a new "Suggested Features" thread since the last release and couldn't find one. So I made a new one. :)

There is no such thread because it really doesn't work well in the forum. You end up with a tangled mess of conversations in one thread. That's why the Code of Conduct says "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread." When you start a thread with multiple topics, you are violating that principle in the very first post. For your original post, ideas #1 and #3 seem to be new, so they could each have been posted in a new thread.

Idea #2 is old, as I reminded you. If you think the idea has not received the attention it deserves, don't start a new thread, for that would violate the CoC provision that says "Do not post the same material in multiple threads." Instead, go back to the existing thread and make a post there, asking if anyone has new ideas, or if anyone has heard if this feature is in the works, or whatever your specific question may be.

So if you'd like to make new posts that follow the CoC on these topics, I'll just go ahead and delete this whole thread (or perhaps close it and leave it around because it contains information about how to handle such posts).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kennova

Post by kennova »

I've added new posts. Go ahead and delete this one. I realize you are a moderator and know the CoC like the back of your hand so I'll try to ignore your disdain.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote: I realize you are a moderator and know the CoC like the back of your hand so I'll try to ignore your disdain.
I'm sorry you felt that I was using any disdain in my response. That was certainly not my intent. I was just trying to help you understand how to handle such posts in ways that will work well in the forum. Although everyone should be willing to comply with the CoC (they agree to do so when they sign up for the Forum), I certainly don't expect everyone to know it precisely. That's why I took the time to try to provide some details that I hoped would be helpful.

Thanks for making those individual posts -- that is helpful.

Return to “Calendar”