Syncing with Google Calendar, not working

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
musiksnickaren

Syncing with Google Calendar, not working

Post by musiksnickaren »

Hi all. here's my copy/paste from the comment section of the post about the new calendar 2.0.

--------------------------
# Robert Blomberg 2011-10-27 09:56
The sync to Google Calendar doesn't work either. It:

- It uses the wrong timezone (I read about that, but not about it having anything to do with the syncing calendar links). I'm in GMT+2 btw. Sweden.

- It also doesn't update. i changed a thing in the lds calendar and it didn't sync to my google calendar.

But it's looking better and feels a lot better. so keep working and tell me if there's something I can help with. :)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

# Tom Johnson 2011-10-27 10:15
Robert, thanks for the note and details. If you don't mind, can you also report the bugs and issues in the calendar sub-forum (see link above), since the quality assurance team regularly monitors that forum and not so much this thread?

By the way, we've had trouble getting the Google sync to work in the past, and engineers tracked the problem to Google, so it's great to hear that the sync is at least partly working now. Hopefully we can get the rest of the issues worked out (the time zone bug has already been fixed in dev).

--------------------------------

/Robert
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

slipped_away wrote:It also doesn't update. i changed a thing in the lds calendar and it didn't sync to my google calendar.
How long did you wait? Note that the sync is a "Pull" sync, not a "Push". It's up to Google as to how often it checks for updates. (And I've not found any settings to change that.)

There's no way for the church to inform Google that something has changed.

From prior experience, you need to allow a couple of days before changes show up on the Android phone (which is synced from the Google calendar).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
musiksnickaren

Post by musiksnickaren »

Today it started to work with the updates. (Sweden...) And the timezone as well as a matter of fact. :) I don't know how long time i allowed for it to sync, but i can do some testing just to see. i'll check my android as well, and try to keep track of what's going on.

- for now the android (GB 2.3) still has the same problem when it comes to displaying in the right timezone. but hey.. this is really weird. i just changed to not show the calendar, and when i made it visible again (still on the phone...) it's now in the right timezone. And it's updated with the latest changes, made sometime yesterday. which would be around 12-16 hours ago.

i'll get back to you when i've stated how long time it takes for it to sync to both desktop and android calendar.

...so short version, it works now. will just do some testing to see how long it actually takes for it to change. and if i always have to hide/show the calendar for it to appear in the right time zone. come to think about it I think that's the same thing i did on my desktop PC. hide/show.

RussellHltn wrote:How long did you wait?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

slipped_away wrote: i just changed to not show the calendar, and when i made it visible again (still on the phone...) it's now in the right timezone. And it's updated with the latest changes, made sometime yesterday. which would be around 12-16 hours ago.

Same here - only it didn't bring over all the events. I'm missing events that still show on my LDS calendar. The missing events are on the same calendar as ones that are there, so it doesn't appears to be a issue with having selected the right subscription calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:Bug was fixed yesterday.

Time zones, was. But I'm still misisng events. I still need to track that down.

jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

RussellHltn wrote:Time zones, was. But I'm still misisng events. I still need to track that down.

Not only that, but all-day events don't sync properly. But yes, the time-zones are fixed.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:Time zones, was. But I'm still misisng events.

Sorry, I was just trying to tag the myriad of Google Calendar threads so people knew the time zone was fixed. Carry on. :)

Return to “Calendar”