Removing Records of Unbaptized People

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jhigbee

Removing Records of Unbaptized People

Post by jhigbee »

I’m sure this question has been discussed on this site somewhere in the past, but I couldn’t readily find it. Many infants are given a name and a blessing with less-active and inactive families. A membership record is then created for them as “child of record”. Most of them continue with their parents’ inactivity in the Church, so when they reach 8 years of age, most are not baptized. When some turn 9 or 10, the full-time missionaries often try to teach them and have them baptized. But for the others, they often grow up with little to no interest in joining the Church. I’ve seen a few of these cases throughout the years. Rather than carry their quasi “membership record” on the Church roles for years, I understand that their record should normally be dissolved (there’s probably a better term), unless the Bishop feels there are extenuating circumstances where the person will likely consider taking the missionary discussions and be being baptized in the near future. I’ve tried to find in Handbook 2 the definitive policy on how long to keep their records before dissolving them. My hunch is that many bishops aren’t in too big of hurry to dissolve them until the young person reaches about 18, since by keeping it they will appear on primary and YM/YW roles so that youth leaders can more easily keep them on their radar for inviting them to Church activities, etc.
[font=&quot]Can someone direct me to anything definitive in this area? Thanx [/font]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a line in the MLS manual. But I suspect you want to see Handbook 1. But you need to wait for the member to turn 18.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jhigbee wrote:I’m sure this question has been discussed on this site somewhere in the past, but I couldn’t readily find it. Many infants are given a name and a blessing with less-active and inactive families. A membership record is then created for them as “child of record”. Most of them continue with their parents’ inactivity in the Church, so when they reach 8 years of age, most are not baptized. When some turn 9 or 10, the full-time missionaries often try to teach them and have them baptized. But for the others, they often grow up with little to no interest in joining the Church. I’ve seen a few of these cases throughout the years. Rather than carry their quasi “membership record” on the Church roles for years, I understand that their record should normally be dissolved (there’s probably a better term), unless the Bishop feels there are extenuating circumstances where the person will likely consider taking the missionary discussions and be being baptized in the near future. I’ve tried to find in Handbook 2 the definitive policy on how long to keep their records before dissolving them. My hunch is that many bishops aren’t in too big of hurry to dissolve them until the young person reaches about 18, since by keeping it they will appear on primary and YM/YW roles so that youth leaders can more easily keep them on their radar for inviting them to Church activities, etc.
[font=&quot]Can someone direct me to anything definitive in this area? Thanx [/font]
See Handbook 1 section 13.6.2.
jhigbee

Post by jhigbee »

Thanks for those replies gentlemen. My bishopric coworker (at the risk of disfellowshipment) pulled up that 13.6.2 of Handbook 1 and sent a copy to me, the stake membership clerk (who doesn’t have access to Handbook 1). It’s interesting that the Bishop alone can’t make the determination that the individual over 18 has been given every opportunity to be baptized- it takes the Stake President’s written concurrence. It smacks of such a feeling of finality- when 1) there is no reason why the individual cannot be taught the gospel and baptized later in life, and 2) the baby blessing of that individual was not a saving ordinance in the first place. But comply, we will with getting the SP’s concurrence to cancel this 22-year-old’s quasi-membership record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jhigbee wrote:It smacks of such a feeling of finality- when 1) there is no reason why the individual cannot be taught the gospel and baptized later in life,

And that doesn't change. That door remains open.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”