Printing attendance rolls: grid lines light

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Printing attendance rolls: grid lines light

Post by zaneclark »

The ability to send a PDF file of attendance rolls to secretaries is great, but they do have one complaint....the grid on the rolls is so light that it is almost invisible. I tried it and even at the highest print setting, the grid is barely visible. Anyone have a solution to this? I will send a note to feedback, but I haven't been too successful in getting any response lately.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

zaneclark wrote:....the grid on the rolls is so light that it is almost invisible. I tried it and even at the highest print setting, the grid is barely visible. Anyone have a solution to this? I will send a note to feedback, but I haven't been too successful in getting any response lately.
See my response for a similar problem with printing the directory, https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post65544
This work-around uses a macro in Libre Office. It changes the text objects from gray(not very readable) to black (readable). The macro would need to be tweaked to loop through shape objects instead of text objects and change the lines from gray to black. I don't have time to update the macro but if someone reads this and beats me to it, have fun.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

Came up with this work-around. After the macro runs, a few large textshapes that were "hidden" become visible. Simply select each unwanted textshape and hit the delete key. Also intro paragraph gets shifted when being imported into LibreDraw; each paragraph line can be shifted back by selecting it and doing a "Shift-Left Arrow" key-combo press. This document conversion has a few anomalies, so if you can live with that and find this useful then go for it. If not, then I would just wait until the lds.org report functionality is updated. I also noticed that the online version of the attendance roll doesn't carry over the Month/Day Column labels onto the 2nd page; so there are definitely things that are lacking.

Here's the macro; run the UpdateLineShapes sub to change the lines.

Code: Select all

'Update all textshapes in the document
Sub UpdateTextShapes

dim oDrawDoc as object
dim oPage as object

oDrawDoc = ThisComponent

' get draw pages collection
oPages = oDrawDoc.getdrawpages

' total number of pages
nNumPages = oPages.getCount()

For j = 0 To nNumPages - 1

oPage = oDrawDoc.drawPages( j ) 

CTShapes( oPage )
Next

end Sub

'Update all line shapes in the document
Sub UpdateLineShapes

dim oDrawDoc as object
dim oPage as object

oDrawDoc = ThisComponent

' get draw pages collection
oPages = oDrawDoc.getdrawpages

' total number of pages
nNumPages = oPages.getCount()

For j = 0 To nNumPages - 1

oPage = oDrawDoc.drawPages( j ) 

CLShapes( oPage )
Next

end Sub

' Changes Font to Black and Bold in each TextShape
Sub CTShapes( oPage As Object )
nNumShapes = oPage.getCount()
    For i = 0 To nNumShapes - 1
        oShape = oPage.getByIndex( i )

oText = oShape.GetText 
        TextCursor = oText.createTextCursor

TextCursor.CharWeight = com.sun.star.awt.FontWeight.BOLD 
        TextCursor.CharColor = &H00000 'black 

Next
End Sub

'Turns line from invisible to continuous if it has no string value
Sub CLShapes( oPage As Object )
nNumShapes = oPage.getCount()
    For i = 0 To nNumShapes - 1
        oShape = oPage.getByIndex( i )

' it appears that the PDF importer turns everything into a textshape
        ' if the textshape has no text then it's a line; turn the line on
        if oShape.String = "" then
            oShape.LineStyle = 1  'Continuous Line Style
        end if

Next
End Sub
stowelljr
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by stowelljr »

I have added a task in our project to take a look at this. It will be re-evaluated.

Thanks for the feedback.

zaneclark wrote:The ability to send a PDF file of attendance rolls to secretaries is great, but they do have one complaint....the grid on the rolls is so light that it is almost invisible. I tried it and even at the highest print setting, the grid is barely visible. Anyone have a solution to this? I will send a note to feedback, but I haven't been too successful in getting any response lately.
genman

Re: Printing attendance rolls

Post by genman »

Not sure if this issue has been resolved or not. Was it? When I print an attendance roll today, the grid lines are subdued but still visible. Maybe it is an issue with some printers. I am using a laser printer.
jkitterman
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Clerk Resources - Attendance Rolls - Repeat Header Row

Post by jkitterman »

Are you printing via the browser print functionality, or are you using the "Print" button to generate the PDF file, and printing from the PDF?

Which lines do you want to see darker (vertical, horizontal, both)?
Developer, Core Systems and Services
http://clerk.lds.org
genman

Post by genman »

jkitterman wrote:Are you printing via the browser print functionality, or are you using the "Print" button to generate the PDF file, and printing from the PDF?
Not sure who you are asking, but I use the Print button to generate a PDF and print that using a laser printer.
jkitterman wrote:Which lines do you want to see darker (vertical, horizontal, both)?
This question is a little off topic to the subject of this thread. The darkness of the lines is not that big a deal, because it does not appear to be a significant problem with laser printers, AND there is a workaround available. There is no workaround for the missing header row on the 2nd+ page of the attendance roll, though. The missing header row problem should be considered a separate problem, and it should be given higher priority, IMO.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

genman wrote:This question is a little off topic to the subject of this thread.
Not anymore. I moved jkitterman's question and your response to the appropriate topic (where jkitterman really should have posted in the first place).
jkitterman
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Printing attendance rolls

Post by jkitterman »

The attendance rolls lines are darker now.
Developer, Core Systems and Services
http://clerk.lds.org

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”