Providing tax form w-9 to donor

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jfrost1976

Providing tax form w-9 to donor

Post by jfrost1976 »

A local HOA wishes to make a donation to our Boy Scout fundraiser. They have asked for us to provide them with tax Form W-9, which verifies the Church's federal tax ID number. Any thoughts on how I might do this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest reading the Non-member Donation thread.

Your situation is a bit different since it is to a fundraiser.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kh_design

EIN, Employer identification number

Post by kh_design »

mklobaas wrote:Just received a call from a ward financial clerk asking if we have an Employer Identification Number. Do local units have EINs?
calebpusey wrote:This can be obtained for the stake by contacting the Tax Administration Department at CHQ.
As calebpusey stated in the quote above, "This can be obtained for the stake by contacting the Tax Administration Department at CHQ."

W-9 is the federal request form for a business's EIN, Employer identification number. Also referred to as the federal tax ID number, or more accurately Taxpayer Identification Number or TIN.

This is very common in the business world. A business that has financial dealings with another business is required to have the EIN on file. This is a very standard request, and required by law, nothing unusual about it. So common in fact that my business has our W-9 always at the ready to e-mail or fax upon request.

By the way, the Church's EIN, Employer identification number, is now included on the official donor's tax statement. Take a look at your own official donor's tax statement and you will find the Church's EIN under the Church's headquarters address.

This is, of course and possibly could go without saying, only applicable to Church units and members in the US.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

kh_design wrote:Same for any Church Unit, Stake, Ward or Branch.

W-9 is the federal request form for a business's EIN, Employer identification number, also referred to as the federal tax ID number.

This is very common in the business world. A business that has financial dealings with another business is required to have the EIN on file. This is a very standard request, and required by law, nothing unusual about it. So common in fact that my business has our W-9 always at the ready to e-mail or fax upon request.

By the way, the Church's EIN, Employer identification number, is now included on the official donor's tax statement. Take a look at your own official donor's tax statement and you will find the Church's EIN under the Church's headquarters address.

This is, of course and possibly could go without saying, only applicable to Church units and members in the US.
Except that I don't believe anyone at the ward or stake level is authorized to sign the certification on the W-9. If it's really required, I would provide them with the Tax-Exempt status letter.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:As calebpusey stated in the quote above, "This can be obtained for the stake by contacting the Tax Administration Department at CHQ." Same for any Church Unit, Stake, Ward or Branch.

It's not the same for any Church unit. Stakes have an EIN -- but there is no EIN assigned to wards or branches. But in any case, I would share the concern about any local unit actually issuing a W-9. I'd recommend consulting with the helpful folks at the Tax Administration Department at CHQ before doing anything in this realm.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”