Webcast project progressing...

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Aczlan

Webcast project progressing...

Post by Aczlan »

We were pulling cable for our stake webcasting project yesterday. Our system will be setup as follows:
  1. Camera (EVI-D70 in chapel, under the "soffit" area) represented by the red box below:
    CameraWiringLayout.pdf
    (56.6 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
  2. Control/Video Transmission
    We will be using a Knoll UR-SVID and a US-SVID to send the S-Video signal from the camera to the Stake Clerks Office and then on to the library. This will also allow us to control the camera with the IR remote control.
    I realize that serial control is better than IR control, but IR control has worked well for the past few conferences, it fits in the budget and if need be, we have an extra CAT6 cable running to each location so that if we want to switch to another system in the future, the cables are in place.
  3. Video distribution:
    We will have a 1x4 S-Video distribution amplifier in the stake clerks office to split the S-Video signal for the various places it needs to go
  4. Broadcast:
    We will have a computer and the webcast software. We were looking at buying the box, but decided that the extra features and upgradeability of the software were worth the added complications that a computer entails
  5. Cabling:
    We have 3 CAT6 cables that run from the camera to the stake clerks office where we will control the camera (1 for power, 1 for video and a spare) and then 2 more CAT6 cables that run to the Library where they will feed the building CCTV system (1 video, 1 spare).
  6. Camera Mounting:
    FM is working on a bracket (similar to: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684181-REG but longer) and a way to fasten it to the wall when in use (the camera will come down between uses)
When I talked to FM about running wires, they offered to punch all of the holes and put in 1" PVC sleeves through all the walls/floors we needed to go through. That was done last week and yesterday we pulled the CAT6 cable (1084 feet of it). I need to get pictures of the finished boxes, but it went smoothly. The hardest part of the pull was fitting 2 CAT6 cables and a CAT5e cable down the 1/2" conduit into the satellite rack in the library.
When we get everything installed, I will take some pictures and post them on here, but here is a slightly dated version of our general wiring layout:
CameraMountingLocationCropped.jpg
(89.3 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Aaron Z
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

The placement of the camera looks perfect. Putting the camera's power supply in the clerk's office and sending just DC to the camera is a good idea (as long as the power cable run is not too far...you should be ok if using 18 gauge wire and the run is less than 30 or 40 feet.)

A couple of questions: Is the camera mounting permanent or removable? From the diagram, I suppose you could operate the camera via I/R remote control from either the library or clerk's office. Is this correct? I'm a little unclear about the location of the S-video transceiver and I/R emitters. Are you planning on using a wired I/R emiter stuck on the camera or is the emmiter in the wallplate (along with the S-Video transceiver)? If the emmitter is on the wall plate, will the it be in line with the camera's I/R receiver? Or, if you are using an emitter on a cord, will the I/R emitter be stuck to the camera and be plugged in?

I thought about the same location for our camera. It could be built into the hollow space behind the wall with a cover that could be removed when it was in use.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

michaelfish wrote:The placement of the camera looks perfect. Putting the camera's power supply in the clerk's office and sending just DC to the camera is a good idea (as long as the power cable run is not too far...you should be ok if using 18 gauge wire and the run is less than 30 or 40 feet.)
The run is ~50 feet, so we shouldn't be too bad.
A couple of questions: Is the camera mounting permanent or removable?
The plan (last time I talked to FM) is to have a wooden plate mounted on the wall with 2 holes that have 1/4-20 T-Nuts in them. Then the plate stays up, but the bracket (with the camera, the balun and the IR emitter permanently mounted together) gets stored in a secure place.

To use, you mount the bracket to the plate with a pair of 1/4-20 eye bolts and lock it in place, then plug in your power wire and a CAT6 patch cable
Are you planning on using a wired I/R emiter stuck on the camera or is the emmiter in the wallplate (along with the S-Video transceiver)? If the emmitter is on the wall plate, will the it be in line with the camera's I/R receiver? Or, if you are using an emitter on a cord, will the I/R emitter be stuck to the camera and be plugged in?
The emitter is on a short cord which plugs into the balun, then the emitter is stuck to the bracket. The EVI-D70 has an IR sensor in the back, so it will pick it up just fine.
From the diagram, I suppose you could operate the camera via I/R remote control from either the library or clerk's office. Is this correct? I'm a little unclear about the location of the S-video transceiver and I/R emitters.
That is the plan, we hope to be able to operate from the "rack" in the clerks office which will have the power supply, AV distribution amp, and other goodies in it. OR from the library.

Aaron Z
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

It's a little late because you've already pulled the wire, but it would have been nice to have an extra CAT5 cable run to the wall plate in the chapel, should you decide to switch over to VISCA control of the PTZ for that camera.

However, since you only need 5 conductors for RS-422 control, you could modify your set up and use 2 of the existing conductors for composite video and 5 of the 6 remaining conductors for VISCA control.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

michaelfish wrote:It's a little late because you've already pulled the wire, but it would have been nice to have an extra CAT5 cable run to the wall plate in the chapel, should you decide to switch over to VISCA control of the PTZ for that camera.
However, since you only need 5 conductors for RS-422 control, you could modify your set up and use 2 of the existing conductors for composite video and 5 of the 6 remaining conductors for VISCA control.

Actually, the PDF was misleading in that aspect. We pulled 3 CAT6 cables to the camera. One has the cables soldered onto the power jack (all the solids together and all of the striped together), one is terminated in CAT6 RJ45 jacks and one is left unterminated in case we do switch to VISCA or serial control the the future

Aaron Z
kh_design

ClearGlide

Post by kh_design »

Aczlan wrote:The hardest part of the pull was fitting 2 CAT6 cables and a CAT5e cable down the 1/2" conduit into the satellite rack in the library.
In snug fitting conduit use ClearGlide (Wire Pulling Lubricant), the success of your pull will be greatly improved.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

kh_design wrote:In snug fitting conduit use ClearGlide (Wire Pulling Lubricant), the success of your pull will be greatly improved.
That is would have. Sadly, it was on my list of things to get which list was forgotten in scrambling to find CAT6 after the place I was going to buy it from only had 600 feet in stock.
All is well that ends well and things ended up better the way they worked out (we ended up using 3 partial boxes of CAT6 so we were able to simultaneously pull all 3 lines).

Aaron Z
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

We had a functional test at Stake Conference this weekend. The camera, the S-Video/IR Baluns and everything worked GREAT (even if they weren't overly pretty).
Pictures are below:
  • Camera/Mount/Box (I forgot to take a picture of it mounted in the chapel):
    IMAGE_027.jpg
    (91.37 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
    IMAGE_026.jpg
    (91.78 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
  • View from the Clerks office door:
    Inside Box.jpg
    (80.58 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
  • Closeup of the webcast computer, preview monitor, IR "eye" and the mixer:
    IMAGE_025.jpg
    (93.24 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
  • Closeup of the power supply, the baluns and the S-Video distribution amp:
    IMG_4496 (Custom).jpg
    (95.16 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
    These will eventually be mounted to a piece of plywood that will sit in the bottom of a box. That way they will always be together and the number of connections needed each time will be reduced
Aaron Z
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

I have a couple questions. Why don't you just mount it to the ceiling of the "soffit" area, then you wouldn't need the mounting bracket? Also, why are you taking it down between uses?
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

KeithWilson wrote:I have a couple questions. Why don't you just mount it to the ceiling of the "soffit" area, then you wouldn't need the mounting bracket? Also, why are you taking it down between uses?
The camera ended up about a foot below the ceiling, if I go any higher, the ceiling of the "soffit" infringes on the camera angles and I couldn't catch the projection screen. Also, I have the S-Video Balun/IR repeater and their cables in the box behind the camera, so I needed some way to store them.
I take it down because even in church, I dont like to leave an expensive camera on a custom mount sitting exposed 9' in the air (5-6' above the back of the pews). I was a youth not too long ago and I would have looked to see what it was. Others would have looked at it and broken it by not knowing what it does.

I would have liked to mount it just in front of the partition doors, but FM said no way.

Aaron Z

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”