Consuming Membership info via API for .NET

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
ryalif

Consuming Membership info via API for .NET

Post by ryalif »

Hello:

I'm looking at building a small application for our bishopric. I am looking for any information you have regarding the ability to retrieve membership info via an API and consume it in a .NET application.

Is that possible?

Ryan
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryalif wrote:I'm looking at building a small application for our bishopric. I am looking for any information you have regarding the ability to retrieve membership info via an API and consume it in a .NET application.

The membership APIs are not available except for Church-sponsored applications. See this response from Joel Dehlin, CIO for the Church:
joel wrote:Actually, it's against our policy to have 3rd party apps use these web services. The policy going forward is that the only apps which can use LDS Account credentials are LDS Community apps.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ryalif

Post by ryalif »

OK, good to know. One follow up question though, how are some of these 3rd party iPhone apps (iWard, iStake, etc) getting their info? Screenscraping?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryalif wrote:OK, good to know. One follow up question though, how are some of these 3rd party iPhone apps (iWard, iStake, etc) getting their info? Screenscraping?
Yes, screen scraping is pretty much the only technique available for a third party app.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

ryalif wrote:I'm looking at building a small application for our bishopric. I am looking for any information you have regarding the ability to retrieve membership info via an API and consume it in a .NET application.

Since the application is for the bishopric, you might look at using the export files from MLS instead. They essentially contain a large superset of the same data now available on the website directory API. There are two downsides to that:
  • The updating would not be as easy and seamless as an online API.
  • The MLS exports are not well supported, and may be eliminated entirely someday.

Return to “Main Church Website”