Other (Authorized Member Financed Activities) balances don't match CUFS for audit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
daveywest

Other (Authorized Member Financed Activities) balances don't match CUFS for audit

Post by daveywest »

As the stake finance clerk, I've been tasked with helping correct some exceptions from the year-end audits.

Two of our wards have Other total account balances that do not match the balance shown on the December CUFS. I've reviewed their income and expense reports choosing "Prior Year", and I can't find any expenses or deposits equal to the problem amount.

After the changeover to CUBS, I would think these balances not matching would be impossible. Aren't MLS balances now just a mirror of the information recorded at CHQ?

I'll likely be speaking to Local Unit Support later today or tomorrow morning, but I wanted to see if any other clerks were experiencing a similar problem.

Edit: as soon as I post this, I find another thread answering this question at https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... conversion
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

UPDATE: I spoke with MLS support today, and they are now able to fix this problem. It involves a forced backup on the next send/receive; corrective action applied on the data at CHQ; and a second send/receive to download and apply the correction in the local database.

I'd encourage anyone with this issue to contact MLS support.
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

daveywest wrote:I'd encourage anyone with this issue to contact MLS support.
Let the flood gates open. I'm not sure they realize just how big a problem this is...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Let the flood gates open. I'm not sure they realize just how big a problem this is...
There's only one ward in our stake that doesn't have the problem. "Flood" is right!
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
86Bengal

Post by 86Bengal »

daveywest wrote:UPDATE: I spoke with MLS support today, and they are now able to fix this problem. It involves a forced backup on the next send/receive; corrective action applied on the data at CHQ; and a second send/receive to download and apply the correction in the local database.

I'd encourage anyone with this issue to contact MLS support.

What info did you have to give when you called? Did you go through the right and wrong dollar amounts, etc., or did you just give your unit number and they said they'd take care of it? Just wondering what to be prepared with when we call....
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

aebrown wrote:There's only one ward in our stake that doesn't have the problem. "Flood" is right!

No kidding! Our stake is in the same situation. Multiple units in our stake that have differences in their other account from what is reflected in their Finanical statement. Most of the normal categories all add up right but there are lingering differences that are definitely attributable to CUBs. Our audits look horrible this time around due to "unresolved differences".

Just on a wild guess, if there are approximately 2500 stakes thoughout the US and at least 8 to 10 units within each stake (and only half of them) have CUBs issues that totals up to around 12,000 to 13,000 units that need help. Will the folks at LUS be able to help that many in a timely manner? I certainly pity them....its going to be a long night, week, month, quarter - take your pick!
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

On an additional note....one of our units after the CUBs conversion had their financial data base totally scrambled. They went from a balanced other account to $570 out of balance. Likewise for some unknown reason their missionary balance took a big hit.....went from a positive $1000 to a negative $8600. When I saw that I stopped trying to fix the data and called LUS. I asked them to take their database and repair it because it was beyond my capability at that point. Apparently the message got lost because the units data continued to show the big disparities all the way up through the end of December. Their clerk called me mid January and asked why it was still reading bad. (My error in that I didn't follow up sooner and remind LUS they needed help).

The following day after I talked with the unit clerk I called LUS and asked to talk with a supervisor. I related that the unit's financial data base was totally corrupted and it was now up to LUS to help. LUS did take the database and were able to fix it and it reads correctly now. I was going on a false premise that the 2010 December data base would be in error for the audit but it turns out that unit is the only one in our stake that had no audit exceptions for CUBs issues. So kudos to LUS for helping out.....

I certainly don't envy LUS because this truely is going to be a very taxing time for them with all the units out there that are still having problems post-CUBs conversion. But at least in the end the databases do reflect what they are supposed to after LUS does their magic!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

WOW. Our audit was long (6 hours) but everything related to CUBS came out OK except for a bounced check pre-CUBS last year (I had documentation that LUS was working on it) and a couple of lingering reconciliation issues where the system doesn't know the difference between check 5385 (written pre-CUBS) and check 00005385 (deposited post-CUBS).

We didn't come through unscathed, but I'm grateful the items found were relatively minor...
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

daveywest wrote:UPDATE: I spoke with MLS support today, and they are now able to fix this problem. It involves a forced backup on the next send/receive; corrective action applied on the data at CHQ; and a second send/receive to download and apply the correction in the local database.
I called LUS tonight to "test" this on one of my wards. A HUGE caution or fyi for those going this route. I was basically given the pre-CUBS instructions. They pulled in a backup, and then told me to print my Income and Expense report w/ date range = all and report type = summary by subcategory. The programmers will review the backup and send down a setup file to fix the error.

As part of this fix, all expenses will be recategorized to the parent category (I hope). We would need to use transfers to recreate the subcategory balances. Before you go this route, make sure you print every financial report you will need/want!!! I think I will include an I&E w/ date range = current year as well as a detail budget report for current year and previous year as well. I'm going to print out my View/edit budget screen as well. And I will create a backup so that if the "fix" causes more errors than it fixes, I can restore to how it was before.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

OK, so I have the situation stated in the first post-- in my Stake MLS my negative AMFA balance in MLS does not match the negative balance shown on the Stake UFS for February. I printed the finance reports and did a backup as suggested by crislapi then called LUS. Note they now have a menu option specifically for Stake Clerks!!

LUS had me do a S/R and verified on their systems that indeed there was a mismatch. He has queued the fix and I can get it by doing another S/R in two hours.

I asked what the fix entailed. It will bring my MLS AMFA balance in line with CUBS. So I will still have a negative balance to figure out, but MLS and CUBS will be in agreement.
JLR

Return to “Local Unit Finance”