Remote support/control software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

Remote support/control software

Post by aclawson »

From time to time it is useful to be able to control a machine remotely. An admin may need to reset a password or create a new user within MLS, or perhaps the STS is needed for a quick tutorial, config or troubleshoot for a relatively minor problem.

I wish to call your attention to a free (stake use falls under the non-commercial license, see below) solution that does not require any software to be installed on the record keeping machine.

http://www.teamviewer.com

This is how it works.

An account is created by whoever is going to be providing the support. Username, password, email address is all that is needed.

Let's say a ward clerk needs support for a machine. The clerk goes to http://www.teamviewer.com and clicks on the "download" link, scrolls down a bit and downloads the software next to "For the instant customer: TeamViewer QuickSupport"

A small application is downloaded and runs.

A window opens up and a session ID and password are displayed.

The clerk (who is going to receive the support) gives the session ID and password to the person who is going to remotely connect to the machine. That person, having logged into his teamviewer account already enters the ID/password (which are uniquely generated for every session) and a few seconds later has a remote desktop session started.

Nothing needs to be installed and it takes only a few seconds to establish the connection.

* NOTE - intra-stake support appears to be covered under the non-commercial license. The terms dictating the free use of the software are found at http://support.teamviewer.com/index.php ... icleid=213 and read as follows:

How exactly is 'private use' defined?

As private use we understand any use of TeamViewer for purposes that are neither directly nor indirectly paid. It is not about whether the service itself is paid but whether the service is rendered within the context of the creation of an added value with some kind of financial compensation.

Examples for an indirect payment:
* a software company sells a software product for which it offers free support via TeamViewer
* teamwork among colleagues within a company
* use in associations and non-profit organizations with non-volunteer (i.e. paid) employees
* access to a company computer for work-related activities
In the abovementioned cases TeamViewer is used for creating an added value, the payment takes place indirectly through salaries or a combination of sales/support activities.

In any case, a use of TeamViewer with family and friends without any financial compensation is considered private use.

Article Details

Article ID: 213
Created On: 13 Sep 2010 14:17
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have used the TeamViewer at a temporary job a couple of months ago. It appeared to me to be similar to the Windows remote assistancecapability built into Windows XP/Vista/7. The advantage of TeamViewer over Windows remote assistance, to me, was that it was simpler to get a remote session going than Windows remote assistance (fewer steps and more user friendly, especially for the computer novice). I also believe TeamViewer is cross platform capable.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Let's say a ward clerk needs support for a machine. The clerk goes to http://www.teamviewer.com and clicks on the "download" link,
The question is, does this work behind the church firewalls, or is that site blocked? (Or will it be blocked in the near future?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

RussellHltn wrote:The question is, does this work behind the church firewalls, or is that site blocked? (Or will it be blocked in the near future?)
If you can reach the website you can run the remote application. I used it today to resolve a quick issue at the FHC so it definitely works through their firewalls. I suppose that a YMMV tag is merited as not every building has the same security level in place.

I recall that a time or two I have had global services remotely access a clerk machine using something similar if not the commercial version of this software (they had me go to a website, download a small application and enter in a code they read to me over the phone) so it may be allowed through even the tightest access level.

Is there anybody willing to give it a try?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aclawson wrote:I recall that a time or two I have had global services remotely access a clerk machine using something similar if not the commercial version of this software (they had me go to a website, download a small application and enter in a code they read to me over the phone) so it may be allowed through even the tightest access level.
What the Global Service Desk had you use was the LANDesk remote control. Since this is the standard remote control used by the GSD, I'm sure that the firewall would be configured to allow it through. So I don't think you can draw any general conclusions from that one special example.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

aclawson wrote: Is there anybody willing to give it a try?
I'll surely give it a try.
Thanks a lot!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
Jerubbaal

Post by Jerubbaal »

I have used teamviewer successfully with family and at the church. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't require configuration of a firewall or ports. You simply install it and it just works.
coloradotechie-p40

Another option

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

I like http://join.me even better than teamviewer. You go to http://join.me and click "Share" or "Join". You don't need admin privileges and it has worked for me helping others.

I haven't tested it at the church building so I don't know if it passes through the firewall or not.

Thanks~!
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

I have been using TeamViewer for a few years now and have never had a problem working through the chruch firewalls. It has saved a lot of travel time when dealing with our remote units. As Jerubbaal says, it just works! and it is free. Highly recommended.
bordon

Post by bordon »

Thankyou. That was helpful. I will try the remote support/control software that you suggested.

Return to “Clerk Computers”