Rehash of methods to dispurse budget allocations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Rehash of methods to dispurse budget allocations

Post by mlh78 »

Last night I was tinkering with some spreadsheets to figure out how to adjust the unit allocation percentages to get each unit in our stake the exact amount of money the Stake President determined they need. We are trying to follow the encouragement to use the new system (i.e., instead of just entering zeros and cutting checks), but have a problem. Several of the small units in our Stake, for a variety of reasons, need more than 100% of the budget funds their attendance generates. This of course cannot be done with the new system, so I am going to have to cut checks to these units anyway. Given this fact, along with all the other hassles and problems associated with using the new method, we are inclined to just go back to square one and enter zeros and cut checks for everyone.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:Several of the small units in our Stake, for a variety of reasons, need more than 100% of the budget funds their attendance generates. This of course cannot be done with the new system, so I am going to have to cut checks to these units anyway. Given this fact, along with all the other hassles and problems associated with using the new method, we are inclined to just go back to square one and enter zeros and cut checks for everyone.
If your stake president has determined that several units in the stake need more than 100% of the allocation attributable to their attendance, then this sounds like a reasonable approach.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mlh78 wrote:Several of the small units in our Stake, for a variety of reasons, need more than 100% of the budget funds their attendance generates. This of course cannot be done with the new system, so I am going to have to cut checks to these units anyway. Given this fact, along with all the other hassles and problems associated with using the new method, we are inclined to just go back to square one and enter zeros and cut checks for everyone.

Depending on how many units you have, you may wish to let budget allocations flow through automatically to those units where that process will work. You would then zero out and cut checks only for those smaller units that needed extra money.

Remember that you can specify the allocation for each unit. If any of them will go through automatically, it saves you having to write the check.

If you really want to get creative, you could even let the small units go through at 100%, and just cut a check for the extra amount the stake president wishes to give them for an allocation.

Lots of options.
kh_design

Let the MLS CUBS budget allocation tool do what the tool is made to do.

Post by kh_design »

mlh78 wrote:we are inclined to just go back to square one and enter zeros and cut checks for everyone.
lajackson wrote:let the small units go through at 100%, and just cut a check for the extra amount the stake president wishes to give them for an allocation.
Let the MLS CUBS budget allocation tool do what the tool is made to do. Yes, let the units go through at 100%, and as the needs arise for additional funds cut a check for the additional funds as needed. This way the units' leaders know what additional funds are being disbursed to the units.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”